>> Thirty One <<

"I never actually noticed before, Mafu, but you're pretty tall for your age," Soraru said from behind Mafu with his arm around the boy's waist and one hand in the air. "Before long, you're going to be taller than me."

"Really..." Mafu answered, glancing back at Soraru slightly. His gaze averted back toward the window, and he shifted a little, leaning onto Soraru's chest.

Soraru rested his chin on the top of Mafu's head. "Ahh... I really don't want that to happen.." he sighed.

Mafu let out a small laugh.

"Anyway," Soraru continued, "we should get to bed. Especially you. It isn't good for your body if you don't get enough sleep."

Mafu hugged Soraru's arm. "Yeah..."

|*|*|

Mafu's pale hand slid along the spines of books as he walked past the aisles of shelves crammed with stories of different shapes and sizes. His other hand played with the library card in his pocket. Soraru had given it to him to use in case he saw something he wanted to check out, but Mafu didn't think that he would need it.

He came here with Amatsuki to look at some reference books for a school assignment. Somewhere along the line they had gotten separated, and Amatsuki was probably going crazy running around and searching for him. Mafu, however, wasn't concerned.

He actually didn't know that there was a public library so close by, but then again, he never really bothered to search. There were an assortment of different books that all seemed to blend together into one as he walked, until his finger traced over a book with golden lettering on the spine. Mafu didn't know what compelled him to, but he slid the book out of its place and turned it over to the cover. The title jumped out at him as being familiar, and confused by the déjà vu he was feeling, he flipped open the book and skimmed the pages. The feeling and thought that he had seen this book didn't go away.

It was at that moment when Amatsuki passed the aisle, halting to a stop when he saw Mafu's white hair. It was hard to miss. Mafu looked up from the pages of the book and noticed Amatsuki, who looked like he was about to scream with joy, but the realization that he was in a library caused him to change his mind. Instead, the brunette briskly walked over to him. "Of all places," he stated when he neared, "I didn't think you would be in the elementary section."

When Mafu didn't respond, he changed the subject. "Anyway, I'm glad I found you. It's getting late. We should go back. We got all the information we came here for, anyway."

Mafu nodded and quietly shut the book.

"Are you checking that out?" Amatsuki asked, pointing at the book.

Mafu nodded.

"... Okay, come on."

The check out process didn't take too long, and before long, they were back out in the snow. It was quite cold, and Mafu regretted not wearing more than what he was. Amatsuki, having a one-sided conversation the entire time, dropped Mafu off at Soraru's house first. Soraru answered the door, and made space for Mafu to enter. He nodded to Amatsuki, and Amatsuki waved back before continuing on to his own house.

After closing the door, Soraru turned to Mafu, who was struggling to take off his coat with a book in his hand. "Here," Soraru held out his hand. "I'll hold the book for you."

Mafu handed it over, and Soraru flipped the book over to the cover, curious to see what his lover had gotten. Once he saw the title, he froze. "Why did you get this book?" Soraru suddenly asked.

The albino was startled. Of all questions, he wasn't expecting that one. "It... It just seemed familiar to me."

There was a dead silence between them before Soraru gave a small smile and handed the book back. "Either way, enjoy," he said.

Right on the colorful cover, the title shone, catching the light and almost making it seem magical. The Tale of a Century was written in golden script.