>> Thirty Three <<

The years went by, and the girl grew up, little by little. She was able to hide her wings, and earned a job in the town of her birth. Even though her white hair stood out, she was able to hide most of it behind a shawl, and was passed off as a working peasant from the country. She worked at a small bakery in the center of town. The pay there was decent, but still on the minimal side. It was enough for the time being.

The memory of the little boy she met at the grove all those years before never really faded. Although, she never knew what happened to him after that day. That never stopped her from wondering.

She was walking back to her cottage one day through a relatively secluded back street when she crashed jnto the chest of another pedestrian. The hood of her shawl flew off, and she quickly pulled it back before looking up. There, she was greeted with the face she had seen in the grove that day, though, a little older and more mature. She was sure of it, there was no way she would be able to forget those brown eyes.

He helped her up, and said to her, "I wouldn't forget that white hair. Are you...?"

Before she could answer him, the voice of someone shouting "Your Highness" cut her off. The boy whipped around, and the girl cocked her head in confusion.

"Mafu, how do you like the story so far?" Soraru asked as he came into the room. He was drying hair with a towel.

"It's not bad. I don't have that much left to finish," Mafu answered, flipping through the remaining pages.

"In any case, we need to get to bed soon, so find a good place to stop." Soraru draped the towel around his neck and exited the room.

"Your Highness, please do not stray from us like that again," a man uniform came running up. The royal family's emblem was printed on his coat.

"Your Highness?" the girl repeated.

The boy sighed, shaking his head, "I've told you many times to be more discreet in these areas. You won't be excused when it happens again."

The man bowed, "Yes, Your Highness, I apologize."

"Wait," the girl spoke up. "By 'Your Highness,' do you mean...?"

Thr boy gave her a sideways glance, and nodded. "Yes... It's most likely what you think."

The girl was about to protest when he interreupted. "Before you say anything, let me explain. Ever since the day I met you in that grove, I couldn't forget about you. I know this country has a prejudice against angels, but since that day I've been working to reverse it. Though, I didn't think I would meet you again here. Though, it is perfect timing, as I need you to carry out the last part."

"W-wait," she took in the information. "W-What..."

"What I am saying is," the boy, or now prince, brought her hand up to his lips, "would you have the honor of being my bride?"

Her cheeks flushed, and she stammered, "B-But, what do I have to do, I didn't prepare..."

"All you need to do is be yourself."

The next few days, the girl focused on settling in at the palace. The merchant was informed of her situation, and he jumped in joy. After that, the prince called all the countrymen and women to the palace for an important announcement. On the big day, the courtyard was filled with people.

When the prince emerged with the angel, wings visible, next to him a hush fell over the crowd. "I have decided to take this angel as my bride," he started. Thee were a few silent gasps in the sea of people. "I know you all have your opinions towards angels, but we must believe that there is still good in this world. What caused us to detest the innocence and purity of this world? What caused us to focus on the destruction? Was it jealously? But none of that, this is the person I love, and that is all that needs to be said about the good."

With that said, a couooe of people slowly started clapping. More joined suit, and soon the court was overrun with cheers and celebration.

And they lived happily ever after.

Mafu closed the book as Soraru entered the room. "You already finished it?" Soraru asked as he got into bed with Mafu. "What do you think?"

"The ending didn't really make sense, and it was rushed," Mafu handed to book to Soraru to put on the bed side table.

"I mean you can't blame them, it is a book aimed towards children."

"Yeah..." Mafu trailed off. There was no doubt about it. He definitely heard that story from somewhere.