>> Forty One <<

Once upon a time, there was a baby boy born on the outskirts of town. This baby, however, was not wanted. His mother did not know who the father was and only thought of the child as a burden.

The baby was not even given a name. He suffered through days of neglect, only getting what he needed to survive. If he cried, his mother let him cry. The mother had gone barely a month with the boy before she wanted to rid herself of the child. So on a spring day, she left him in a basket at the park.

A passing pedestrian spotted the baby sleeping soundly in the basket and immediately turned him in to foster care. The boy was taken care of, but he still lacked what you would call a motherly love. It wasn't long before he was adopted. He was adopted by a kind old man. The old man, head full of white and gray hairs took the child to his home where he was finally given a name.

He was given the name Mafumafu.

Mafumafu grew up like any other kid. He gad no recollection of his days as an infant, and he did not wonder about his real parents. Living with the old man was enough.

When kindergarten started, he was bullied and isolated because of the color of his hair. A pure white, like an angel. Because of the continuous insults and taunts, the old man decided to pull Mafumafu out of school and teach the boy what he needed to know himself. Thus, Mafumafu started his life of being homeschooled. He learned things quickly and was praised by the old man because of it.

It was around the time he was five years old when Mafumafu met the landlady's son. They had met during a visit and each caught each other's attention. The old man was quite good friends with the landlady, so as the two chatted, Mafumafu and the boy would play together.

The boy's name was Soraru. His hair was a dark blue, and in contrast, his eyes were a bright blue, just like the sky. They were very close. Mafumafu especially because Soraru was the only friend he had.

One day Mafumafu noticed Soraru repeatedly staring at him. He flushed and Soraru asked, "Your hair is naturally white?"

"Y-Yes..."

The boy smiled, "I like it. It looks pretty."

Mafumafu's eyes widened, and he looked at Soraru's smiling face. "T-That... is... um.. y-you..."

Soraru laughed and rubbed Mafumafu's head. "You should see your face right now. It's cute."

At that, Mafumafu flushed a shade almost the same color as his eyes. He leaned into the warmth of the other boy's hand.