>> Twenty Six <<

Mafu didn't breathe. He couldn't breathe. All he could see was the patch of red on his arm where Soraru had slapped it away. The haunted look on his face still circled around his mind.

Amatsuki was worried, he knew that, but he couldn't bring himself to care. That morning, Soraru had left without so much as a farewell. There wasn't the usual bento, just money on the table for Mafu to buy something from the school cafeteria.

What was going on?

The sound of a car horn startled him, and an arm wrapped around him and abruptly pulled him back. A car zoomed past them in a blur. Mafu heard Amatsuki let out a sigh from behind him, and he was released from Amatsuki's grip. "Mafu-kun, what's going on?" he urged. "I get there are some things that have to be kept private, but I can't let it slide when you almost get yourself killed."

Mafu looked at Amatsuki, and they stared at each other for a bit before Amatsuki sighed again. "Okay, okay, I get it," he reached out his hand. "You should still me careful. Take my hand."

As they walked, hand in hand, Mafu heard Amatsuki mutter, "You wouldn't want Soraru to worry his ass off."

|*|*|

Blood.

How did that get there again?

There was a cut going down his arm. The arm that Soraru slapped away. Mafu felt stinging, but he still couldn't process if it was from Soraru or the cut. He must've scraped his arm on something.

"Mafu-kun!" Amatsuki stopped in front of him. "What the hell? Do you enjoy getting hurt, or something?"

He gingerly lifted Mafu's arm and inspected the cut. "It isn't deep, but we should take you to the infirmary to bandage up." Suddenly, Amatsuki hooked his arm through Mafu's unharmed arm, and started dragging him toward the infirmary. Mafu half stumbled after him.

Amatsuki sat on a side chair as the school nurse wrapped the bandages on Mafu's arm. After she left, he scooted closer. "Mafu-kun," he started. "Now I have to know what's going on."

"You haven't said anything this entire day," he continued. "Although, I know you're quieter than most people this age, you're usually never like this."

Mafu didn't answer. He felt Amatsuki's stare, but he didn't react.

Why was he so worked up over what happened with Soraru?

Should he even be this upset?

Amatsuki cast his eyes downward and put a hand on Mafu's shoulder. "Well, then, whatever. Just get better tomorrow. Now, let's get to class."