>> Forty Two <<

"Come on, Mafumafu!" a certain dark haired boy exclaimed, waving his arms back and forth. "This is the perfect place to take a picture."

"I'm coming," Mafumafu said as he pulled himself up the hill. A tree stood at the top, its branches spreading and reaching past the sky.

"We came this far out," Soraru mused. "Let's take a picture here as memory for this trip."

Just as he said that, the landlady appeared over the hill.

She carried a camera with her.

|*|*|

"The picture turned out okay, didn't it?" Soraru asked Mafumafu as he held the picture up for both of them to see.

"Yes."

"Good, then I'll leave it here. Think of it as something to remember me by."

Mafumafu smiled with gratitude.

The two continued their days together until one day, Soraru had come with a solemn expression on his face. Mafumafu invited him into his room, and asked what was the matter. "My mom's getting remarried," he explained. "She already sold the lot. I won't be able to see you anymore."

"What? But..." Tears started forming in Mafumafu's eyes.

"It's okay. I'll remember you," Soraru kissed Mafumafu on the forehead. "I love you."

Mafumafu wrapped his arms around the dark haired boy.

"Mafumafu, J need to go. Mom doesn't know I sneaked out here."

"No, don't go..."

"It's okay..." Soraru left the room, but as he was heading out the front door, the old man pulled him aside.

"U-Uhmm... I can explain," Soraru stammered.

"It's okay. You aren't in trouble," the old man assured.

"Oh... then what is it?"

"I doubt this body of mine will hold up much longer, so I would like to tell you about little Mafumafu."

"What do you mean?"

And the old man told Soraru. He told him about Mafumafu's mother. He told him the truth.

After hearing the story, Soraru stood, gaping.

"Please tell him when he is old enough. He will take it easier coming from you."

Soraru looked to the side. "Do you have the picture? Can I see it?"

The old man nodded and went to find it. He came back with it and handed it to Soraru. The boy ran his finger down it and suddenly ripped it in half, which startled the man in front of him. Soraru held out the half with Mafumafu on it and kept the other half with himself. "Make sure he doesn't remember my face. I don't want to be the one to tell him," he said with his eyes closed. "He won't remember me. He's six. He's too young."

The old man reluctantly took the half of the picture. "You will one day when you grow older."

Soraru gave no response, and with his half of the picture, he left. He didn't know why he didn't just keep both halves, but maybe somewhere in his heart, he was wishing that Mafumafu would find him. One day.

"I'm sorry, Mafumafu."