>> Thirty Seven <<

"Mafu-kun, are you sure you're in any condition to go to school?" Amatsuki asked as Mafu closed his front door behnd him.

"Yes," he answered. "I rested the entire day yesterday along with on Saturday."

Amatsuki gave him a skeptical look. "Well, if you feel anything off, you're coming straight back."

Mafu nodded. He didn't feel like arguing about anything. Nor did he feel like doing anything. He just felt empty. He felt betrayed by Soraru in a way. They walked to school in complete silence. Even Amatsuki didn't try to make small talk. The mood had been heavy for the past two days, and there was no way around it.

At school, it seemed that Sakata had noticed Mafu and Amatsuki's strange behavior, and he pulled Amatsuki aside during lunch. "What's wrong with you and Mafumafu-kun? Did something happen between you two?' he asked.

"No, nothing happened between us. Just leave him be for now."

From the look in Amatsuki's eyes, Sakata could infer the situation. He nodded.

When the end of the day came, Sakata went on ahead while Amatsuki stayed behind with Mafu. Students were spilling out the front gates. Most stayed for club activities. As Mafu had only been in school for a while, he was still looking into which one he should join. Though, even if Mafu had chosen one, Amatsuki doubted he would want to participate in the condition he was in.

At the front of the school, Amatsuki spotted a boy who stood well out among the junior high students with his high school uniform. He recognized his head of black hair.

Amatsuki paused mid-step, which caused Mafu to stop, too. "Hashiyan...?" he muttered under his breath.

Mafu perked up at his voice and looked in the direction of the high schooler. "... Ama-chan, is that...?"

Amatsuki was in deep thought, contemplating what to do in the situation. On one hand, Soraru had told him to keep Mafu away from Hashiyan at all costs, but on the other hand, Amatsuki wanted answers. Hashiyan could possibly give him those answers if Soraru was so dead set against him. The brunette weighed the pros and cons in his mind and finalized his decision. If it was for this, he could betray Soraru.

By that time, Hashiyan had spotted the both of them and was staring down Mafu. When Amatsuki shifted, Hashiyan switched his gaze to lock with Amatsuki's.

"Come on," Amatsuki said as he started forward.

"W-What... but..." Mafu stuttered.

"No buts. I'm taking you to him."