>> Forty <<

He waited. Mafu waited for time to move faster. He stood at the window, he lay in bed. He was alone with his thoughts until the time came.

To pass the time, Mafu settled with his thoughts about Soraru, about the picture, about his past. He loved Soraru. He loved him so much it was almost unbearable. Why hadn't Soraru said anything to him? Alas, even though with Soraru, Mafu felt a whirlwind of emotions, he couldn't bring himself to hate his dark haired lover.

Mafu rolled over and looked at the clock. He realized that he didn't have that much longer before he had to leave. With that in his mind, Mafu got out of bed and quickly threw on some warm clothes. Before he left, he spotted the book he had gotten from the library. He grabbed it and stuffed it in his bag.

He took his bag with him and quietly tip-toed downstairs. Soraru was sprawled out on the couch, and Mafu set bag down and sat down, resting his arms on an open space on the couch cushion.

He rested his chin on his arms and watched Soraru. If this worked out, then they'd probably never see each other again. The thought dampened Mafu's mood. He thought back to Soraru's kisses, how they would cuddle for hours at a time in bed. Mafu never knew the warmth of another person would feel so good.

One thought lead to another. He wanted Soraru to kiss him. He wanted Soraru to touch him. More. More. More...

Mafu buried his face in his crossed arms. His eyes were wet with forming tears, and he tried to will them away. And as the minutes and seconds ticked by, Mafu slowly lifted himself up. He leaned over and kissed Soraru softly on the lips.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The clock was louder than he had remembered.

Tick. Tick.

Mafu opened his eyes a bit and closed them again. He leaned into the kiss more, wanting to make these few seconds last.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

He pulled away and stood up, wiping away any remaining tears.

Tick.

He headed to the front door, throwing on his coat and slipping on his boots. Mafu looked back, his bag over his shoulder.

Tick.

When he stepped outside, the cold air enveloped him. The door locked behind him.

--

Wow, chapter 40.

Six more chapters until the end!