>> Twenty Three <<

"Are you okay?!" Mafu saw Amatsuki running towards him from his position on the floor.

Mafu rubbed the back of his forearm, where he had landed, and winced. There was a lingering sting. "Yeah," he answered, gathering the books he was holding that had scattered on the floor. He noticed Amatsuki look up and give a withering glare to a trio of three boys behind Mafu. They had probably tripped him, but he didn't see anything. Amatsuki kneeled down on the floor, and helped, bringing a book over. "You don't need to worry about them," Amatsuki whispered to Mafu in a low voice. Then, he stood up and walked over. "If you're going to trip someone, go trip your other 'buddies," he told them. "I'm sure they're small fry enough for you to spare. They fit the requirements of being weak pieces of crap anyway."

"It's better than being a homo bastard," the middle one said as he walked away. Mafu saw Amatsuki twitch a little at that. He turned around and sent a weak glare at their backs before returning to where Mafu was. "I don't care if you have a boyfriend," Mafu grabbed onto Amatsuki's sleeve. "I think you're an amazing person."

Amatsuki brightened up a little, "Thanks, Mafu-kun."

Just then, Sakata rounded the corner and stopped dead in his tracks. "Whoa," he said, eyes wide. "What did I miss?"

Mafu realized that he was still on the floor, and he quickly stood up with his books in hand. "Nothing, really," Amatsuki answered for him. "Just a little fall."

"Oh," Sakata walked over and put a hand on Mafu's shoulder. "Be careful. I don't want you getting hurt on your second day in school!"

Mafu nodded.

"Anyway," Amatuski turned. "We should all get to class."

Sakata agreed and turned in the other direction. Mafu followed him, but not before looking back at Amatsuki. There was still a gloom hanging over him.

|*|*|

"Soraru-kun!"

Soraru's eyes focused on the hand waving in front of his eyes. He gave an underwhelming hum in response, his eyes still staring straight ahead.

"What's up with you?" The high pitched voice could only belong to a certain someone.

"What do you want, Lon?" Soraru mumbled, his voice coming out muffled due to his hand partly covering his mouth.

The blonde sighed and sat down in the seat of the desk in front of him. She held onto the back of the chair. "You're acting weird."

Soraru averted his eyes and stared hard at the pencil on the next desk over. "Am I?"

Lon ducked behind the chair. "Did you finally find yourself a girlfriend?"

"No," Soraru's answer was quick and flat. He saw her flash a knowing smile before getting up and leaving the classroom. She stopped before she reached the sliding door.

"Well, whatever it is good luck. You might need it."

He was actually probably going to need it.

--

I don't think Lon is actually the same age as Soraru.