Chapter 6

I grip the all black pistol and place it in front of my chest pointing towards the boy who could have done so much. The boy who could have saved lives. The boy who just did not care enough. 

Shoot him. Remember what he did to those innocent children. 

"Danielle, I know you," he says taking slow steps towards me. 

"NO YOU DON'T!" I yelled back. 

"No I mean.. I mean I know you don't have it in you to shoot me," he says. 

I grip the trigger, but I can't pull it. I want to. I really want to. 

"You killed them all," I said trying to hold back my tears. "Hunter died because of H.O.P.E. He gave your team everything you wanted. Perfect session results, nice attitude, everything!" 

Warm tears start to scroll down my cheeks. I couldn't hold them back any longer. 

"It should've been me." 

"Danielle you can't-" 

"He would've done better in this situation. He was perfect in your experiments, he was always kind even though I know we shared the same opinions, yet he still died in there. He remained calm and stayed nice, never got in trouble and if he did it was because of me!" 

I fall onto my knees and drop my pistol. 

"He was always there for me, even when he wasn't allowed to. I-I should've been there for him. I should've watched over him today. I could've saved him." 

"Danielle, you didn't know," Grayson says taking one step closer. He is about 3 feet away from me now. I look up at him and stare into his eyes. 

"Why haven't you killed me already?" 

He sits down in front of me which is starting to make me feel a little scared. I need to stay alive for Dominic. He is my will to live. 

"I never agreed with their plans to kill Section A, but it happened. I thought it would happen months from now so I thought I would still have time to plan." 

I break eye contact with him and look down at my cold hands. How am I suppose to continue on my journey like this? 

"There was an escape team," he says. "Hunter and Samantha from 1-17 and two kids from our own group. We were planning a way of escaping Section A before it was to late." 

I stare lifelessly at the ground. How would life be if I were frozen like the rest of the world? I wouldn't be feeling so empty, but Dominic might. 

"Hunter knew about it too," he says in almost a whisper. "I was told it was happening months from now so I had to start keeping track of the days that went by. I told Hunter that he could tell you but he said that he was afraid that you would get carried away and potentially hurt yourself to save someone else. He said and I quote 'she has a younger nephew she would be devastated to leave behind. I love her, but I want her to stay out of this one.'" 

I slowly help myself back onto my feet with confused and disbelief. Once again, how can I be so sure to trust him. I turn and start to walk away. 

"Wait, Danielle wait," he says getting up and following behind me. "Take this." 

He hands me his back pack. 

"There is medical things, food, blankets, and other useful things in there. I hid backpacks out here every since I started working with the group so you can have this one." 

I smile and nod. I have to inspect this backpack once I am alone. Once again, there could be an explosive or something in here. 

"I know you might rather continue on your own but I would be alright com-"

"I rather be alone. Thanks though," I say cutting him off. I have hated this guy for as long as I have known him but now... now I am just confused. 

"Just remember, if I wanted to kill you I would've done it already. I would do nothing to harm any of you." 

"I think it is too late to say that," I say trying to push out a smile. 

*Agent 139, did you find Danielle yet?* 

Grayson takes the walkytalky out from his pocket and looks at me. He was sent on a search to find me and he still hasn't turned me in yet. I start getting my body ready to run. 

He holds down the button...