Chapter 42

We walk into the cabin and I can tell by Dominic's face that he looks impressed. I'm scared to shatter his feelings but he will know by morning that we will not be staying here. 

I sent him to the couch and tucked him in. I want him to rest up as much as he can. 

"It was nice knowing you guys," Elizabeth says. "I must return now." 

"Good luck," I say with a smile. I don't want her to know that I am onto her. 

She walks out and I lay on the couch beside Dominic. I watch as Ethan explores the cabin. I know he is impressed as well. 

"Danielle," Grayson says. "Can I talk to you?" 

He lifts me up, sits on the couch, and lays my head on his lap. I look up at him and he brushes my hair back. 

"Why were you crying in your sleep?" he asks. 

"I saw Hunter in my dream and he told me that nothing is our fault," I say. 

"Hunter was an extremely caring kid. He really cared about you." he asks. 

"I know. It was nice seeing him smiling again." 

Grayson gave me a minute and continued. 

"I wanted to talk to you about everything." 

"Everything eh?" I ask smiling. 

He has a serious look on his face and the smile on mine fades away. 

"You are the only person that can fully understand me and what I've gone through because you    were their to witness it. When I was shot, you were always there even when you physically wasn't. I always cared about you back in Section A because... well... it was my duty. When I knew the secrets and the mess behind H.O.P.E I knew you would one day figure it out. I kept our plan a secret from you knowing you would in the end survive it all. My estimation was off and people died and in the end, you are still here. Now I know it was meant to be. I know were I went wrong and you spoke plenty of times about being the one to blame. The Hunter you dreamt about was right. Nothing is your fault alright. I promise to care for you and Dominic and to fight with you. If you want to leave, then so be it. If you don't feel safe, then there must be change." 

"Grayson," I whisper. "You are the only person who will understand what I went through as well. I promise to care for Ethan as much as I care for Dom. I fight alongside you as well. If you don't feel safe, then there must also be change. We are a unit. I protect you and you protect me. I feel the safest around you." 

I look up at him and know that this is what life will be from now on. The four of us surviving the threat others have placed upon us. I hold Grayson's hand and look up at his eyes. Right now, in this very moment, we are alright.