Chapter 41

We walk in one by one into the truck. There are enough seats for the four of us plus Elizabeth who will drive us. I sit in the back with Grayson and Dominic. Ethan sits in the passenger seat beside Elizabeth. 

"Ready?" Elizabeth asks getting the truck started. 

"As ready as we will ever be," Grayson says with a smile. He looks at me and I smile back. 

"You should get some rest," he says to me. "Both of you" 

I look at Dominic and wipe his cheek. His eyes shut softly. I guess he had a rough day himself. It is dark outside and he probably went to school today. 

I face the window and watch the trees we pass by. I let my eyes shut on their own. I've never felt this safe in a while. 

-=+=-

The loud music wakes me up from my slumber. I stretch and look around the truck. 

I am alone. 

I look back out the window in panic. I see a cottage and on the further side of it, a beach. Where am I? 

I step out of the truck and close the door behind me. I'm still wearing my all black attire, not something I would normally wear to the beach. I think their might be a party taking place inside. 

I look at the front window of the cottage and see a figure... someone watching me. The figure disappears and my heart starts to race. The door opens and I see Hunter. 

"Guys! Danielle is here! DANIELLE! Why are you so late?"

I freeze. Seeing him again is unreal. He is smiling, happy, not scared nor hurt. I run up to the front stairs and walk up to him. I pull him into a hug and I can feel him pressed against me. I have my best friend back. 

"I missed you," he whispers to me. 

I pull away from him and look him in his eyes. He is really in front of me. Hunter, the boy who understood me, who listened to me, who was there during my hard times. He was always nice to Dominic as well. 

"You alright?" he asks with a laugh. "You're just staring at me." 

I forgot how much I missed his voice. 

"I'm sorry," I say with a laugh. "I'm just... excited." 

"Who can blame you? Come in," he says. "Prom was sick but this prom cottage is way more chill." 

"Prom cottage?" I ask. 

He looks at me with a smirk. 

"Yeah," he says. "Did you start drinking without me?" 

"What?" I ask. 

"Danielle," he says. "Whatever, let me give you a tour." 

He walks into the crowd of people and I follow behind. I see people I went to school with, all dressed for the beach. 

"DANIELLE!" Hunter yells. 

I quickly look at him with shock. 

"I've been calling your name but you haven't heard me," he says. 

I know this is a dream. My chest hurts for the knowing of this. I look at Hunter and see the happy young man I knew, the one who was always positive throughout The Freeze. 

"Hunter," I say holding back any tears. "I have you here with me now, and I don't know when I will have this chance again." 

"Danielle-"

"I know you're not real, but you feel real," I say this as the people around us disappear and the music stops. 

"I'm sorry for letting you down and not being there for you especially since you were always there for me. Sorry that I was the one who survived between the two of us. I know you would've done a much better job then what I'm doing right now." 

"Danielle, what are you talking about?" Hunter asks. 

"I promised revenge but I know you wouldn't want me to kill. You wouldn't want me to turn my pain into anger, but I have and I'm sorry," I say. "It shouldn't have been me." 

I step back and look down at the ground. I quickly look back up at him because I do not want him to disappear like the rest. 

"I know you're scared," Hunter says. "You were supposed to be the sole survivor, believe it. Stop blaming yourself for what happened." 

He steps closer to me. 

"None of this was your fault." 

Suddenly the horn the of the truck goes off once. I look at the front door and wondering who entered the door. 

Hunter walks to the front door and opens it. 

"They're back," he says. 

"Who?" I ask walking towards him. 

"Your ride." 

I look outside and see Elizabeth behind the stirring wheel of the truck. I can also see Dominic sleeping in the back. Ethan and Grayson are too far to see from this angle. 

I slowly turn my head to face Hunter. 

"Will this be the last time I see you?" I ask. 

"No," he says. "You'll see me again, I promise." 

"Just come with us," I whisper. 

"I always have been," he says back. "Go on, you don't want to keep them waiting." 

I turn my head to face the stairs below me and I walk down them. I look back up and Hunter and he smiles at me. I smile back knowing I'll see him again. 

I walk to the truck and go inside back to my original seat. I shut the door and sit as the truck returns to it's normally speed. I watch the trees as I did before and let my eyes shut on their own. 

-=+=-

Someone shakes me which wakes me up. 

I look over at Grayson and see that he was shaking me. 

"We're here," he whispers. 

I look at Dominic and shake him awake. 

"Buddy, we're here," I say with a smile. Dominic isn't ready for what is in store. 

We all jump out of the truck and collect our things. I look at the cabin they set up for us. It is big enough for the four of us to live in, but we aren't going to be staying for long. 

We will have to leave by sunrise.