11

Harry answers his phone with a heavy sigh, not checking the caller id. Work was stressing him out beyond belief and he knew tasks were not going to be finished early.

"Hello to you to," Rosie smiled.

On any other day, her voice would have made him smile, but today was such a bad day he wasn't in the mood at all.

"You okay?"

"Yeah.. are you?" She was cautious not sure what mood he was in.

"Not really,"

Rosie bit her lip. She had walked out to a local shop on her lunch break and wanted to hear his voice.

"Bad day?"

"Very,"

The short answers were making her feel awkward and she didn't like it, she's never felt awkward with Harry.

"Right.."

"Are you okay?"

He didn't as out of care, it was more of a 'whats up i'm busy?'.

"I'm just on my lunch break so I thought to call you," Rosie kept her voice light and cheery hoping he would relent, but he didn't.

"Okay babe, I'm just very busy and I have a lot of stress coming at me."

"Right, yes.. that's fine. Just wanted to say hi.."

"I'll speak to you later?"

Rosie bit her lip, she felt brushed off but she didn't want to say anything.

"Yeah.. if I'm around. Speak soon." She tried her best to ignore the voices in her head that were screaming that Vanessa was right; his career was more important than her.

She ended the call and Harry let out a deep sigh, guilt consuming him. He knew she was upset and going to overthink but he was genuinely busy. He felt like calling her back to apologise, but got distracted by some new contracts that had been emailed through.

Rosie had been quiet all morning and Harry didn't like it. He had picked her up quite early so they could get up to his mums as quick as possible. She had sat in the car whilst he drove, reading magazine after magazine, barely speaking with him.

"You okay?" He asks eventually.

"Fine," She smiles brightly but he knew everything was not fine.

The following night he had tried to call her once she was home from work but it had been sent straight to voicemail.

"Rosie I know.. I know the other day I was a little off, and it wasn't fair that I put that on you. I know that was shit of me."

She put her magazine down and looked at him. "Can't say I felt too good after,"

"It was just one of those days,"

"But i'm separate, I'm not work, I didn't deserve your mood."

Harry was silent, they'd never fought before so he wasn't sure what to say.

"I had no idea what had happened during your day and all I wanted was to speak to you for a few minutes. I wasn't asking a lot,"

"Sometimes when stress consumes me I can't see past it."

"I get that, I really do. But you have to, you can't treat people who are close to you badly because of your day,"

"I'm sorry Rosie, I really am."

"I accept your apology, I know your work isn't easy but please in future think about me too."

He kisses her knuckles. "I will, I will. I promise."

When they arrived at Anne's they were back to normal again, laughing and talking non-stop. It was good to get the awkward conversation out of the way for them both.

"Hello honey," Anne smiled hugging her son. "You feel slimmer than usual. I hope you're eating properly," She frowns looking him up and down.

"Yes mum, I am. Just stress I guess."

Anne smiled at Rosie who gave her a little wave. "Lovely to meet you Rosie, you're more beautiful than the photos Harry sent me,"

Rosie blushed following Harry inside. The home wasn't anything she had expected. She kind of anticipated extravagance but it was warm and very cosy.

The three sat down for lunch, Anne had prepared a salad with ham, chicken and different styles of bread.

Anne and Harry caught up with one another briefly, she asked about the business and how it was going. She wasn't very involved, she had divorced Harry's father long before the company grew big.

"So you're a teacher?" Anne smiled at Rosie who had been quiet whilst the mother and son spoke. She didn't mind, it wasn't everyday they saw each other so she understood they had a lot to talk about.

"Yes, I have been qualified for around three years or so."

"My daughter Gemma wanted to be a teacher but, she didn't feel it was right for her."

"It's definitely not for everyone I must admit."

The three enjoyed lunch together, often Anne and Rosie would joke and tease Harry, sort of forming an alliance together. He grimaced and grumbled but secretly liked the fact the pair got on.

His mother had only ever met Vanessa, all the other women in his life didn't really mean much to him. With Vanessa, at one point he was in love and introduced her to his family, none of which were ever too keen. They all saw her for who she was.

Gemma wasn't able to make it up as she had stuff in London still to do but Rosie got to meet Robin who was really lovely. He was quite gentle and funny, often poking fun at Harry. Rosie could tell that Robin played quite a solid role in Harry's life, he respected him as a father figure.

Rosie excused herself to use the toilet and freshen up a little bit. She only had on minimal makeup but she wanted to make sure her concealer didn't look to thick.

Before opening the living room door to return back to Harry, Robin and Anne she stopped in her tracks.

"She's different to anyone I've ever met," Harry admitted.

"She is lovely," Anne approved. "Beautiful, smart, witty. She's everything that you need."

"I know,"

"Have you spoken to Vanessa?" Rosie frowned at the mention of his ex.

"She came to some party a few weeks ago. I don't know how she got invited. She spoke to Rosie, I don't know what about but she seemed a little worried afterwards."

"She's a troublemaker," Robin sighed.

"Yeah, I warned her. I told her that if she starts playing games she'll lose."

"Just don't let her get to you and Rosie." Anne replied. "I'm warning you Harry, that woman is poison and if you're not careful she'll do something stupid, don't let her get to Rosie especially."

"I won't, I won't."

Rosie wasn't sure what to think of the conversation so instead decided to just walk in and pretend she hadn't heard it all. She trusted Harry and she trusted that he wouldn't let someone like her come between a relationship like theirs.