Chapter 40

Jason's P.O.V

I stood there dumbfounded.

Her words still echoing in head, "You want more, fine. As of this moment you are relieved from your responsibilities as the beta of this pack. You are now free from any blame that falls upon this pack."

I watched as she walked into the house and vanished.

I turn and saw Conner standing there. He didn't say anything as he walked into the pack house behind Alison. I took off into the woods not thinking of where I am going. I then feel a shiver down my spine. I stopped and turned to my wolf. I looked around and didn't see anything.

"SHOW YOURSELF!"

After a few seconds the familiar scent hit me. I began to growl. "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?" When I said that, the person that i least expected to show up here appeared from behind a tree.

"Looks like you can use a friend," Ren stepped out in to the light.

I growled knowing it probably it wouldn't phase him.

"What is it that you want Ren?"

"I came to help," he said. I scoffed, "Help? Why would we need from someone who has done nothing, but bring pain and suffering everywhere he goes."

He pressed his lips together.

"Can you please change back? It's annoying talking to you while you are like that."

i didn't have the feeling that he was going to ambush me. He seemed more sincere than that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and shifted back

I stared at him with intensity. " What exactly are you up to, Ren?"

"I heard that you are no longer the beta of the Forest Hunters Pack?"

I didn't say anything or try to respond his question. He sighed and shrugged, "Okay look, I came to help out."

I looked at him not seeming amused by what he just said.

"Look I don't have time for your games, Ren. Tell me what you really want and leave me the hell alone."

"You know what I'm talking about. Aiya is in danger."

I scrunched my eyebrows and looked at him confusingly. "What do you mean?"

"Aiya is in danger by not only the rogues, but by someone who is able to destroy her at any moment," he stated.

My eyes just grew wide, I knew exactly who he was talking about which means that her hunch was correct. Now all I have to do is find some way to prove that what we thought was right.

"Dammit."

Ren didn't seem at all phased by my reaction. He seemed like he knew exactly who I was talking about. "So that means that Aiya not only has one enemy but two."

I was about to turn and walk away, when Ren stopped me in my tracks. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"What do you think? I need to find a way to help Aiya," I retorted. Ren walked in front of me and said, "You can't do it alone. This person is extremely dangerous, you can't possibly be able to defeat him."

I furrowed my eyebrow and asked, "How can you possibly know that? Why are you doing all of this you killed Derek. Do you know how much pain you put her through?"

Ren lowered his head, "I know I won't be able to be the same person she once loved. Even though that she doesn't see me the same way, I still love her. and I hope that one day she will forgive me. But I do have a reason why I did what I did."

I felt some part of me wanted to find some way to hate him, but I do sense the sincerity in his voice. The way he speaks about her; he may very well be telling the truth.

"Fine, but if i find out that you are scheming to hurt Alison in any way I will end your life where you stand is that clear?"

"Completely," he replied.

"We need to gather more information, right now we need to follow whatever lead we have and that's to head towards the Gridal Mountain," Ren boasted.

"Gridal Mountain? That is 2 days from here, how do you expect we get there without warning other people what we are up to?" I questioned.

Ren just scoffed, " We are wolves you know, we can get there in less than a day and a half. I know may way there we can travel through a path between the mountains, and that we we avoid going through other pack's territory. The mountains are neutral territory, so even if we get caught they won't be able to do anything."

It makes sense.

"Alright then, but first i have some business to take care of. Let's meet at the edge of Lahar Forest from there we have a clear pathway to the mountain," I suggested.

Ren nodded his head and took off.

I went the opposite direction heading towards town. I have to gather a few things if we are planning on going to the place where my parents were killed.

My parents were sent to a town near by Gridal Mountain. That is where My parents were murdered by rogues. I haven't thought of going there ever, but I guess the time has come.

My dad was the beta for Alpha Seth, and was his best friend. When my parents died Alpha Seth was heartbroken, but that did not stop him from leading the pack. The beta position wasn't filled until Alison came along. I remember it so very well

4 and half years ago...

"Hey Jason, can you come here for a sec."

I walked towards the office of the alpha and there sat Alison, her uncle had passed away about a year ago, so she became alpha.

"What's up?" I asked.

" Sit, I have something to discuss with you," she said. She didn't look up from her desk as she said that. I closed the door and sat down. She was doing some paper work that she needed to do. Once she was done she looked up and said, "I know it has been tough for you, hasn't been the easiest 2 years for you."

I lowered my head, thinking about my parents. I was still trying to cope ; I was all alone.

"I know it took me a while to say this, but hopefully it will make you feel better. Jason Colt, you are now officially the beta of the Forest Hunters Pack."

My head shot up and I had the biggest smile on my face.

"Are you serious?" I asked thinking this was some kid of joke.

She nodded, "Yes I just finished the paperwork, and the pack had decided it was time for you to take your place as the beta of the pack."

I felt tears fighting to come out. I promise I will become the beta you wanted me to be, dad.I will make you proud, you'll see...

Now that I look back, I'm not quite sure if my dad would be so proud of me now. but today is different.

Today I make a new promise, I promise to do anything in my power to protect my alpha at any cost even at the extent of my own life. I will make her enemies pay, no one will get to her. Not if I have something to say about it.

Alison, I promise I won't fail you again.