Gray x Reader - A Letter to You

Dear (Y/n),

You came into my life like a bullet from a gun; unexpected, at lightning speed and with a bang. Only now do I realize that that bullet hit my heart, and only now have I discovered the damage. At the time, I didn't notice it, my body went numb as my eyes landed on you and I couldn't feel the impending pain. But now, the shock is over, the reality has sunken in, and the pain is unbearable.

I met you through him. He was the one to introduce you. He had met you prior, the story he told placed the two of you at a bowling alley, one you attended by yourself, but still had the most fun. He apparently liked you style, liked the way you laughed and invited you into his game. A meeting so perfect it could be out of a scene of some cheesy romantic comedy movie, one, I wouldn't be the main character of.

It turned out that you were new, you had just moved to our city and was planning to attend our same high school. We met, specifically, at lunch. Natsu was scouring the whole cafeteria for you and I was making fun of him. Only then when I met you did I realize why he was so excited to see you. Only then when I had gotten to know you had a realized how much you mean to other people.

You were nervous, that was obvious. Your hands clamped together in front of you, slightly fidgeting as you bounced on the ball of your feet while Natsu introduced everyone. He listed everyone, including me, though an insult was added and a comment about him wanting you to avoid me was made. You didn't listen to him though, you still hung out with me which I had been grateful for. But now, I wish you hadn't. I wish you hadn't dangled that piece for food in front of my face like I was some seagull on a beach; I would have never have gotten it.

After that you became a constant in my life, a new person added to our group, one I was actually okay of, one I was fond of. You became popular fast, the first few weeks you attended our school you became third most liked. First being Mira, second being Erza (if you didn't like Erza you were dead). When you spoke people listened, and what you said was actually interesting. You became the first girl that I actually liked.

Although I was secretive, a certain someone, one who thought pink hair was cool, wasn't. When he realized her liked you he shouted to the heavens. He made sure everyone knew and threatened to hurt anyone who felt the same or even looked at you for too long, even though at the time you weren't his girlfriend.

If I'm being honest, it hurt, it really hurt. It hurt watching him declare his love at random times, captivating you in his arms and always making sure you're happy. But you made it tolerable, because you made no act of reciprocation, you laughed his actions off and never gave an answer to any question regarding feelings. You were completely platonic with him.

You cherished life, you wanted to take your time, breath through the motions and live every moment to the fullest. That was the answer you gave me when I asked you about reciprocating Natsu's feelings. You wanted to take your time and really discover yourself before you made any commitments. I was happy with your answer at the time, that meant it gave me time to tell you, to express my fondness of you. But it wasn't long enough.

The news came as a shock, a knife stabbing my back without my consent, and the person holding it having the audacity to twist it, to make my pain as horrible as possible. You had finally said yes to Natsu after two years of persistence, two years where I kept quiet, waiting for the moment that just never came. Your reasoning behind saying yes had to do with stress, twelfth grade was hard and Natsu was a stress reliever; that's how you put it.

But although you were his, that never stopped you from hanging out with me. You always made time for me not matter how late, how stressed you were or busy. You were always there for me. Always there to defend my random stripping habit even though you would laugh. Always there to calm me down from something stupid that Natsu said, and always there after I had messed up.