Zeref x Reader - Feared

His heels clicked on the polished marble beneath him as he walked a deserted hallway, the destination to which he was travelling to, not one to be excited about. The halley was decorated with glass, rays of the sun's light easily passed through and exposed all the dust in the air. The natural lighting gave a yellow hue to the floor, which was originally white. His walk was closed off, one that expressed the statement, "Do not mess with me." He had broad shoulders that were used like the neck of a cobra, to appear stronger and bigger than in actuality. There was a sword strapped to his left hip, heavy enough to make his walk slightly crooked.

At the end of the hallway a large double door emerged in his sights. Behind the door would be the end, the end for him and everything he knew. And although he had trained his whole life for it, he still feared it, didn't want it, was opposed to it. But he would always have to remind himself that he didn't choose the life that he lived, it chose him and he wasn't going to whine like a little baby about it.

His right hand, one tough and calloused from his work with a sword, reached out for the door handle, but stopped just moments before. He retreated a bit before forming a fist and knocking on the tough wood, hard enough to make a noticeable sound. Instantly the doors opened on their own, letting out a gravitating loud groan as the door resisted against the floor. He knew that the door must weigh hundreds of pounds. The room in which the doors opened to was as dark as he expected the devil's soul to be. That part of the castle had no windows and the hallway to seemed to be made to mock it. As he knew that he would most likely never see the light as it looks now, nor feel the warmth he did minutes ago.

"Zeref, please enter," A voice rang out, one so deep, so stern it sent shivers down the man's back and very embarrassing goosebumps on his covered arms. But he didn't let it show, his face was as blank and indifferent as always. His demeanor as uncaring and unfazed as supposed to be. He took more steps and entered the room, the darkness inside engulfing him whole, the doors closed behind him and the sound of his footsteps disappeared into the abyss.

She never understood the big deal, the big deal with the man with black hair, black clothes and an overall scary physique. She also never understood the meaning of him, why he took refuge in the castle and why he was always welcomed with open arms. From the stories she's heard, he's the devil. But even if he lives in the castle under the king's own protection, that didn't mean he was a liked man, he was hated.

But those thoughts migrated to the back of her head as she began to hum the melody to a song she had listened to last night. Her hair was tied back in a bun, strands falling out from the lack of effort, some disorientating her as they fell in front of her eyes. She was in the middle of her job, where she would walk up to the castle every morning and attend to the plants that surrounded it. It was a peaceful job, one she didn't have to put much effort into or stress, and one where she was never provoked by others.

The gardens were usually empty besides her, no one really saw the need to come out. Here and there she would see the prince but he would always have a mistress with him, trying to woo her with the beauty that she maintained. At times like those she makes sure to stay out of sight. That's why she never thought that she would ever come across him in the gardens. He looked lost, to be honest, his face, although neutral, showed signs of confusion and his dark clothes looked out of place in the bright colors of the garden.

"Are you lost?" She asked, her voice as soft and sweet as the garden she worked in every day. The man looked up and met eyes with her, his black ones with a glare of red falling weak to her bright and beautiful ones.

"Not really." He replied, his voice low and quiet yet not as scary as she expected from the things she's heard. He rested his left hand onto the handle of his sword, most likely a force of habit and began to stare up at the castle. There was a long pause of silence, one in which the girl decided to go back to work in. She bent down and, with gloves, began to weed the flowers in the bed in front of her.