|| Chapter 9 || Return Home

(Link's P.O.V)

Like Zelda said, Impa escorted me back to the Capital but without saying much. When she took the blindfold off, we were both standing in front of the Melody Inn. The sky was still dark, showing not a lot of time has passed since I was first kidnapped by all of them. I looked from the inn back to Impa who was gone from sight completely, not that I cared. It had been a long night so the only thing I wanted to do was go to sleep, not worry about all this 'H.R.F.' stuff. 

That morning, before the sun rose, I packed my things and headed out. Once I left the Capital walls, I picked some flowers for Amber like I promised then called for Epona. After a while, she came running to me, making me wonder if she just waited around the whole time but I don't think she minds doing so. The fields here were full of lush grass and even a few apple trees for her to feed on. It's a horse paradise out there.

I didn't get home until that afternoon, a little before dinner. When I got to the village, I jumped off of Epona and smiled, missing the calm place I grew up in. I brought Epona to the farm fields before heading to the Abberline house as my next destination.

There, Amber must have sensed me coming since the door swung open, revealing the flamed haired girl who she ran to me. Once she got close enough, she jumped at me, almost knocking me down with a hug," Link! You're back~! You've been gone forever!"

"I was only gone three days," I laughed, hugging her back with one hand while holding the flowers out of the way with the other.

"Well, it felt longer than that, okay?" She stepped back, pouting while crossing her arms," it gets boring around here without you, ya know? You're the only person my age so I had to either hang out with my mom and her friends or the children."

"I'm sorry. Will these make up for it?" She look to the flowers I held out to her, smiling a bit before quickly taking them and looking away.

"They just might."

I laughed, shaking my head,' Amber will never change."

"Link, dear, it's great to have you back," Mrs. Abberline walked down the steps of the house, Mr. Abberline right behind her. She gave me a tight, motherly, hug, looking relieved," I couldn't help but worry this whole time. I know you're old enough to take care of yourself but still."

"The village wasn't the same without you," Mr. Abberline patted my back," you must be tired. Come inside and tell us all about it."

"You can stay for dinner, I hope. I was planning on making some curry rice," Mrs. Abberline turned, leading the way while Amber locked her arm with my, smiling.

"We found one of my grandma's cook books in the basement while you were gone. My mom said my grandma's curry rice was the best but refused to make any until you came," she explained as Mr. Abberline nodded sadly.

"I even tried to get her to cook an apple pie based off of one of the recipes but nope. 'Not until Link gets here to try as well' is what she'd say."

~~~~~~~~~

"There were tons of people there, more than I even imagined their would be, so I didn't do too much wondering around. I did find this great tavern on one of the backstreets. It was called 'Gemstone Tavern' and welcomed both Hylians and Amadahians!" I explained, sitting at the kitchen table.

Amber sat next to me, listening in 'aw'. Her flowers were set in a vase on the top of the table, brightening up the whole dinner room quite nicely. Mrs. Abberline and Mr. Abberline sat at the table as well, both sitting side-by-side, "where did you stay? You did have somewhere to stay, right?"

"Of course. It was called 'Melody Inn'," I explained, nodding.

"Melody Inn? When I went there, they only allowed Amadahians..." Mr. Abberline raised an eyebrow. I froze, looking to the side.

"They...must have changed since the time you last visited because I got in easy. There were lots of Hylians staying there."

"Huh," was all he said but I could tell he was questioning it. I didn't meet his eyes, I only looked to Amber who asked the next question, well, questions.

"Did you meet any new friends?"

"I did meet a few new friends, yeah," Amber smiled, titling her head.

"One day, I'll have to go to the Capital with you and meet them! I need more friends too..." She paused for a moment before smirking," did you get yourself a girlfriend?"

"Eh?" I blushed, shaking my head quickly," why would you think I'd get a girlfriend there?"

"I don't know," Amber shrugged, giggling.

"I'm going to start on dinner before it gets too late. I just hope I can match my mother's curry rice," she whispered. 

"Can I help?" Amber raised her hand like she was a student waiting to be called on by the teacher. Her mother laughed, nodding.

"Of course. Excuse us, boys. Feel free to carry on talking though," She stood up, entering the kitchen which Amber rushed after her, going on about what she wanted to do when cooking.

I watched them leave, smiling before feeling Mr. Abberline's burning eyes starting at me.

"Alright, they're gone so tell me, who beat you up in the Capital?" I didn't say anything, I was too shocked. I must have opened and closed my mouth a few times before finally getting words out.

"W-What makes you think I got beat up?"

The older man sighed, putting up my shirt sleeve to reveal the different bruises I gained on the first day of my trip. He looked up to me, his eyes narrowed. It was like he could see the truth by looking right through me," there's also a cut on your cheek. What happened and don't lie. I want to truth out of you."

I stared at him, sighing while looking down," when I first got there a business man beat me up but it's fine. I didn't try fighting him or anything and I didn't get in trouble with anyone else. I don't know why he was mad at me, he just started yelling about something then one thing lead to another."

I was afraid he'd know I wasn't telling the whole truth but he only shook his head with a sigh, leaning back in his chair," I was afraid something like this would happen...I'm just glad you came back, though..."

"It didn't hurt that much. I was only a little swore afterwards," I explained, pulling my sleeve back down. He nodded.

"I'm still sorry something like that happened. Amadahians, I swear. None of them ever care a speck about us Hylians," he growled. I frowned, shaking my head.

"Not...Not all of them are that way, right? There has to be some out there who care about us!"

"I wouldn't count on it. One day I hope they'll get what's coming to them. If only we had some kind of power," I stared at him, shocked. I knew Mr. Abberline didn't like Amadahians but did he really hate them that much? 

He shook his head, looking to me with a smile," forget I said anything. It's only a hope of mine that will never come true."

"R-Right," I looked down, feeling very awkwardly. 

There was a long silence between the two of us until Amber came back with dishes and silverware. I wasted no time offering to help her set the table which she gladly expected. Mr. Abberline left the room after a while, going to help his wife cook dinner.

The rest of the night was spent with Amber and I talking while we ate the amazing food. In the back of my mind, I couldn't forget what Mr. Abberline said about hating Amadahians so much. 

That night I went home, thinking about it all before I fell asleep. Thinking deeper about it, I understand why Mr. Abberline hates them all so much. I've heard stories about how, when he was little, the war killed his mother, father, and unborn sibling. He lost everything and had to slowly build his life up again always remembering it all. Where all Hylians that were alive back then as bitter towards Amadahians?