|| Chapter 57 || Pick A Side

The last few weeks had been nothing but endless worry, anger, and pain. It was rare to feel anything else expect maybe tired. Tired of having everyone run around frantically, tired of hearing children and adults crying...tired of feeling so helpless among it all

Of course, some were very hopeful for the coming days. To them, this was a chance to finally take back their stolen land once and for all. It was a chance to save their dear broken Hyrule the way the Goddesses must've meant for them to do or else why would they have ever survived this long? Alice was not one of these hopeful Hylians...

From where she stood leaned on the railings with her head held low, she listened to the noises carried from the many floors bellow her. There it was. The sound of her beloved race, alive and somewhat well. Could this possibly be the last time she heard this sound? Come tomorrow would they still all be there or would there not be a single Hylian left to carry on their story? It was anyone's guess now.

And of course, no matter how much time had passed, that dream was still burned into her memory. Link was still the only person she ever told. Yes, she had thought of telling someone else on countless occasions, but not now...now was too late. 

Even just thinking about it made her stomach turn upside down. No matter how many times she tried to tell herself it wasn't true, that she was deciphering it all wrong, there was still that screaming voice at the back of her head. 

With a sigh, she carefully made her way back into the room where her friends waited. She was able to tell just where everyone sat by their voices: Impa was next to Lil, Olly was across from them next to Aryan, and Zelda close sat by him as well. Quietly, Alice found a seat on the other side of her. 

The Hylian Princess smiled at the young girl, offering to help her play if she wanted to, however, she politely denied for she was in no mood for games with so much on her mind. She was surprised any of them could. Perhaps it was their way of taking their minds off of things.

While Impa had wished to play king's corners, it seemed she had lost her argument as the group was playing 'go fish' at the moment. Alice didn't think Olly knew how to play any card game other than that one, so that was most likely the reason.

Alice felt her brother's hand reach over to grasp hers. Without much thought, she jerked her hand away quickly, an action that earned his worry," you okay, Alice? You're not still worried, are you?"

"Got any four of hearts?" Impa questioned without glancing up from her stack. She didn't even blink when Olly smacked her cards on the table, shooting up from her spot.

"YOU'RE CHEATIN'! I KNOW YOU ARE!"

"Olly, please," Lil begged.

"But, she's cheatin', Lil! Look at her smirk! She's seen my cards, she had to!"

Aryan shot a glare at the others before giving his attention back to Alice who didn't know what to say," I'm...I'm just not so sure this whole war is a good idea. W-What if-"

"-Al, everything will be fine. I'm commanding our troops, remember? Do you think some dumb Amadahian princess is a better battle strategist than your brother?" Aryan tried to calm her nerves with a joke, but it wasn't a laughing matter to her. She didn't think he was really joking either.

"No, I just...Hyrule is weak, brother. This war seems like a pointless risk-"

"-A pointless risk? Alice, if you remember correctly, those Amadahians were accusing a Hylian of killing their princess and they're willing to take it out on all of us. Are we just supposed to let them get away with that? How long are we supposed to just keep tip-toeing around them, letting them treat our people like this?"