|| Chapter 35 || The River

(Link's P.O.V.)

On the first night, we rested after sunrise and slept until late noon when we continued our traveling. To our luck, the forest was thick with trees and bushes for most the way, offering great cover from anyone who could come searching for us.

On night two, we did the same thing until we came to a clearer part of the woods. The whole time, (Y/n) and I talked about random things, trying to keep positive despite the two of us worrying about being caught. I think I worried more than (Y/n) did yet I could still see she was unsure at times, after all, there was no telling how desperate the King would be to find us.

At one point, after walking a short way on the second day, we came across a small river which cut across our path. The water moved slowly, nowhere near fast enough to carry someone away. The water, even thought it was a little mucky, looked to be deeper too. Overall, it seemed like a nice little spot.

(Y/n) plopped down on the ground, leaning back and sighing," my feet are killing me. This is the most walking I've ever done in my life."

"You've never been camping or hiking?" I asked, taking off my shirt and pants.

"No. It's not suiting for a royal's life according to the rules-What are you doing?!" When she looked over at me, she quickly directed her eyes to the side, covering them with one of her hands.

"I haven't had a bath in forever," feeling embarrassed, I hurried to wade into the deeper part of the water with only my boxers on. The middle of river went just below my shoulders, the water cool.

Once I got far enough, I took a deep breath, dunking my head under and trying to rub out all the dry blood and dirt. When I came up for air, I glanced at (Y/n), my cheeks lighting up when seeing her walking into the water too...only wearing a bra and panties on...

"I didn't stare at you so would you please not stare at me," Her own cheeks were a deep pink color like my own.

I tore my eyes away imminently, rubbing the back of my head," s-sorry."

Turning my head, I faced the other way awkwardly, that was, until I was splashed with a wave of water which was followed by a giggle. Not giving her time to reach, I jumped at (Y/n), causing her to gasp and fall backwards in the water, pulling me with her.

The two of us went under for a moment before resurfacing. When we came up, (Y/n) started coughing, only worrying me. When I opened my mouth to ask her if she was alright, she began to laugh, answering my question without words.

"That's pay back," I stated, sending her a playful glare.

"For what?" She asked innocently.

"You know what, princess."

"If you're inferring that I splashed you with water, then you are mistaken. It goes against my ways," smirking slight, (Y/n) began to swim back to the shore. I followed behind.

"Does it now?"

"Yep~"

"Well, good thing this doesn't go against my ways," I grabbed her shoulder, spinning her around and pressing my lips to hers.

She hummed into the kiss, bringing her hands to my chest and quickly kissing back while my hands found their way to her waist. No matter how many times we kiss, I doubt I'll ever get tired of the feeling of her soft lips against mine.

Suddenly, before I could realize what was happening, I was pushed backwards. When I came up, (Y/n) was crawling back on shore, chuckling.

"You know, we really should be going. We need to find a village or somewhere with food and water...shelter even," she sat on the same rock from before, wringing out her hair while I stood up and walked onto shore myself.

"And what if we're caught?"

Frowning, (Y/n) set her hands on her lap and sighed," then what do you thinks going to happen if we simply wander around endlessly while avoiding every other living being?"

I opened my mouth, closing it while trying to think.

"We'd die. One way or another, we'd end up dying out in these woods without finding a proper home. What would the point of any of this be if that ends up happening?" She sounded desperate for an answer like she didn't know what to do either. Her eyes burned into me, waiting.

"Alright...Let's find a village. The second we see one, we'll head there and rest. It might be easier to think on a full stomach and after we're well rested," I whispered, kneeling in front of (Y/n) and taking her hands into mine," I promise, things will get better once we get a good idea on how to go about things."

Nodding slowly, (Y/n) smiled and kissed my cheek," our best bet is to find a trail. There's hunting villages located somewhere in the woods. I don't know how many or how far they are, but they are here."

"Let's aim for one of them then."