|| Chapter 37 || Three Strangers

(Link's P.O.V.)

I opened my eyes, swearing I heard something. When sitting up, I scanned the dark room, quickly spotting the dim light that crawled under the door along with a few sets of shadows. It wasn't enough to light up the room entirely, but I know there wasn't any lanterns or other sources of light in the halls which meant someone was out with their own.

"What's wrong?" (Y/n) asked sleepily, not lifting her head from the pillow.

"Someone's out there," I whispered just as quiet knock echoed through the room causing the two of us to flinch.

I quietly swung my legs over the side of the bed then hesitantly let them touch the cold wood flooring below. (Y/n) reached over, grabbing my arm with a concerned expression," what are you doing? We can't open the door for them."

"I'll be careful," I promised, waiting until she nodded to approaching the door.

More knocks came, these ones a bit louder. When get closer, I could hear faint footsteps moving in sync with the shadow's movements. I was about to lean my ear against the door to listen for voices, however, the doorknob began to jingle roughly.

Stumbling back, I made my way over towards the bed again, slightly bumping into (Y/n) who had gotten up and walked to my side.

There was a short pause where the doorknob stayed still and no more knocking could be heard. At that time, I looked at (Y/n), smiling hopefully," maybe it was some drunk person who thought this was their r-"

Just then, the door broke open with such force that the lock was ripped off through the wall. Three people raced inside, one shoving the door shut and the another holding a dim lantern. In the light of it, I could make out the faces of two men and a woman, all with strange painted designs around their eyes. They all matched by the looks. Two yellow dots above their eyebrows and a red, curved, line under their eyelids.

I felt (y/n) grip my arm as I stepped in front of her, pushing her behind me in the process. It could be barely seen that they had short ears making them appear to be Amadhians. Were they sent here by the King? What if he put out some reward for us?

The problem with the theory was that they didn't dress like any Amadahian (or Hylian) I've seen yet the clothes they did wear were in Amadahian colors.

The lady had her hair up in a bun with a loose dress which was white on the top and red on the bottom, golden designs sewn into the lower half while a golden cloth wrapped its way around her waist. The two men had long hair pulled back into short braids. Their loose shirts were white, a similar golden cloth went around their wastes, and their red pants looked more like skirts.

The woman stepped forward, bowing a few feet away. Her voice was laced with a heavy accent I couldn't name," Princess (Y/n) of Amadahy, we have been sent by Queen Ashiea to escort you and your friend to Anicetus safety. We ask that you come without fuss."

Looking back at (Y/n), I saw she was just as clueless as I was," Anicetus? I've never heard of such name."

"Of course, you haven't," she stated matter-of-factly," Our Queen should fill you in once you've met, though."

"We can't go with you if we don't know who you are," (Y/n) pushed closer to me, shaking her head.

"Our Queen has called for you," one of the men pipped up, a confused look in his eyes while he, along with the other, bowed next to the woman," one does not disobey the Queen."

"You don't know any other Queen?" I whispered, moving to hold (Y/n)'s hand as she shook her head.

"I do not," she looked at me for only a second before the group of three," why has your 'Queen' called for us?"

"We are not allowed to know. It is a secret only our Queen keeps. Our Queen knows all."

When (Y/n) stepped forward, I gripped her hand tighter, hissing under my breath," we can't go with them. They could take us back to the Capital."

"I know," she stared at me for a moment, shaking her head then turning to the three," unless you have better reasoning, we shall not go anywhere with you."

The group blinked, sharing glances with each other. They all seemed more than confused by her words.

"But the Queen ordered it!" The smallest man cried.

"We are sorry," the woman stood, bowing her head with an apologetic look in her eyes," as we've been ordered, we simply cannot return home without your company. You must come one way or another."

She stepped forward, the men following her lead as I pushed (Y/n) farther behind me, ready to protect her from whoever these people thought they were.

The woman held a hand in front of herself, her fingers pointed towards the ceiling before she turned them to point towards the wall in a sharp movement. With it, I felt sudden pain in my forehead, my legs becoming wobbly.

I started to fall forward until (Y/n) wrapped her arms around me, shouting my name. At that point, I could only half see as one of the men grabbed her shoulders, pulling her back as she screamed at them to let go, trying to kick and hit her way free.

Trying to pull myself up, I could only push out a few words before falling back down unconscious," don't...touch her..."

"