|| Chapter 41 || Fate Can Be Sour

"...n-NO! HELP-!" The fearsome scream echoed through the quiet halls before being cut short, leaving an unsettling feeling inside the castle.

Within seconds, a knight of honor rushed down the hallway, followed by another knight in whom he had just been speaking with. They both recognized the voice immediately when it sent chills down their spines the same way it would to anyone else who heard. It belonged to Queen Rosaleen...

Gregory Lin was the one who ran so quickly that his friend couldn't keep up and began to fall behind. He didn't have time to be concerned over that knight, though. Instead, he had to follow where the voice came from which happened to be the bedroom of the youngest princess.

Turning around the corner to the open door, his eyes went wide when seeing the sight awaiting him and, as for his racing heart, it felt as if it stopped.

Blood soaked into the floor, surrounding Queen Rosaleen who laid on her stomach, her arms outstretched towards the open window in which the curtains flew out of with the wind. Her eyes stayed stuck open, reflecting a look of a lost soul matched perfected by her pale skin.

A few feet away from the door, Prince Ethan stood, his own eyes wide and his small body frozen. Not wasting any time, Gregory turned the boy, pushing his face into his chest then escorting him out, whispering calming words; none that seemed to reach the child's ears.

"I-I heard a scream a-a-and came to see what was the matter! S-She-" Ethan sobbed, falling against the hallways wall with a dazed look in his eyes. Of course, he got there first, his room was closest.

"Help the Prince," Gregory ordered the knight who finally caught up, pointing towards the disoriented boy who shook rapidly," take him to the doctor and make sure he doesn't go into shock."

Sighing heavily, he went back into the room once more. Walking over to the body, he checked Rosaleen's pulse, pressing his lips into a thin line,"...I'm sorry, my Queen..."

She was still warm yet there wasn't any beating in her heart. She was recently killed.

"Princess (Y/n)," Gregory called, searching the room while a horrible pain set in his stomach," Princess!...my god..."

To make things worse, the Princess was nowhere to be found inside the room. Servants who came hurrying in after the commotion had confirmed there was so sight of her on the way there either.

Looking back to the potion of Rosaleen's body, it became clear that, whoever killed her, made off with the Princess and she tried to stop them with her final breath...It's something Rosaleen would do.

~~~

"Why do they think papá did it?" Ms. McNeadly huffed at the question, glaring at the little boy who sat on the floor, a book laying in front of him, however, he had no interest in reading it; not when there were too many questions to be asked.

"He was the Queen's knight. He had a responsibility to protect her yet failed. If a knight of honor fails to protect his Royal, he is hung," not caring that she spoke to a six-year-old, she gave full detail, continuing to scribble down some words on the paper in front of herself. It may be hard to tell, but inside, she was just as worried.

Her heart ached knowing her only son was being blamed for the death of the Queen. She only got a moment to talk with Gregory before he had been taken away. According to him, the Queen told him he could be off since it was already so late. Of course, the King being so stubborn, not to mention heartbroken, refused to listen to such claims.

"They can't hang papá!" Liam cried.

"Shut it!" Ms. McNeady snapped, grabbing the boy's shoulders and looking into his eyes," your papá's gone right now which makes you the man of this house. I know it isn't fair, William Lin, but it's how life works. Your papá's going to need you to be brave now. We both need you to be very brave, ya' hear?"