|| Chapter 12 || They'll Never Break Us

(Link's P.O.V)

"So, how was working with my father? What did you guys have to do today?" Amber and I sat on the porch of her house, sipping on lemonade Mrs. Abberline made us not too long ago. Our pants were rolled up while our feet rested in a large, metal, bucket filled with ice.

Today was very hot; hotter than most. Usually, when it gets this warm out, many mothers take their children down to the spring to cool off and farmers would bring wet towels to put over their necks when working. If you were to look out into the fields, you'd even see all the animals like sheep and horses trying to find shade to lie in.

Sitting on the porch with a glass of lemonade and our feet in ice was something we did every summer. Mrs. Abberline actually taught us this trick to stay cool in warm weather. She told us that, when she was little, her family would do the same thing every summer. It was a time to relax along with socialize with one another.

This morning, I had been helping Mr. Abberline like I have been for the last few days. He's been requesting help with all shorts of things which I don't mind him doing. I have plenty of time on my hands to help anyone if they need it.

"A few farmers want to fix up the fences surrounding the main field. Mr. Abberline had them draw up a few draft designs in order to get an idea of what they really want. We went over those designs together in the Village Hall," I explained, moving a few ice pieces around with my feet.

"Did you guys pick out a final design?"

"Yep. We went with one that's a little bigger than the curtain design. We'll have to clear out a few trees to the East and expand the field; it won't be by a lot, though."

Amber hummed, taking a drink of her lemonade before looking ahead," you know, my father asked me if I wanted to be the next mayor of this village..."

"Huh? Really? That's amazing, Amber!" I looked to her with a smile. She didn't share my excitement.

"I told him I wasn't interested."

"W...What? Why would you do that?" I asked, shaking my head. I would have thought Amber would love to be mayor. We grew up always knowing the chances of her being the next after Mr. Abberline retired were very high. Why would she decline?

"Because I'm not interested in being mayor. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great job and all; it's defiantly not something everyone gets the chance to be. I just don't believe being mayor of this village is what the goddesses have in store for me...I'll admit, I have a temper when it comes to big groups of people...I don't like others crowding me with different problems or requests and that's something I'd have to handle if I ever want to be a leader..." She trailed off," To be honest, I think I'd be much better off running some kind of vet or wildlife refuge when I'm old enough. That way, I could spend my days surrounded by animals. I'd be perfectly content with that life."

"How did Mr. Abberline take it when you said no? Was he upset?" I muttered after a moment.

"Of course he was upset. He's always planned on me taking his place ever since I was born. He tried to talk me out of it and there was a lot of yelling between us. In the end, he told me he didn't want me to follow in his footsteps if it mean't me suffering. He understood, saying he was proud of me for standing my ground in order to keep my dream going," Amber laughed, a small smile printed over her lips," that's what us Hylians have to do, I guess. We have to keep our dreams going no matter what. To show the world it can break us down into the tiniest of shards yet we'll still cut them back."

I nodded, making a metal note to remember her words. It was something stockily mature for coming out of Amber's mouth. Usually, she spoke whatever came to mind the second it did. She must be taking the time to think over her words.