Chapter 25

Previously, on Love bite   

I then walk over and open the back door. "The only place that would be fitting, Luka," I reply.

Luka stops right in the doorway, he looks at me. "And where might that be, Sophie?"

"The perfect spot Luka," I give him a smile. "The spot that I gave you my farewell."

--------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 Now Sophie's P.O.V

Within an instant Luka and I are on four paws, like always, he shifted first, followed by me a moment later.

I turn and start to head down the hill, as I reach the bottom, I feel all the pack links connect to mine. Once we're both at the bottom, me and Luka let out a howl. The dark forest then comes alive with song, the crisp howls echoing off the trees, seemingly rattling their thick trunks.

Once I have my mate at my side, I connect my pack mind link, along with a private mind link to Luka, so that I can talk to him one on one, while also speaking to the rest of the pack without them being able to hear each other.

I test things out.

"Testing, testing, can you guys hear me?"

There's a definite yes from all the pack, I can feel their response mixing with their thoughts, after a moment, a lone wolf speaks up.

"Yes, Sophie, we hear you," replies my uncle.

I turn my head towards Luka. "Luka, can you hear me?"

Luka then turns towards me. "Yes, Sophie, I could hear you crystal clear."

"Could you hear any of the pack just now?" I ask him.

"No, not at all,"  he replies, then he backtracks. "Well, besides the howling, but not anything coming off the link."

I turn my head back around to face the trees once more. "Did you guys hear Luka just then?" I then ask.

There's a strong hollow silence over the link, a wave of confusion washing over the entire packs thoughts for a moment, like they didn't know Luka was even here with me.

"No, Sophie, we didn't. At least, I didn't hear my bro's voice" Elliot's voice is the one to ring out over the mind link this time.

I turn towards Luka again and give him a nod, I then turn back.

"Alright everyone, let's start this marathon," I say.

The pack them bubbles up with excitement. I give Luka another nod, flatten my ears slightly against my skull, and take off into the dark forest in front of me, my mate on my flank.

***

About three hours in to the night Luka and I round the corner that will take us around the patch of forest that leads to the meadow, the dark of night making the trees look almost black.

It's been a quiet night, nothing to come of Ace so far, Luka and I have crossed paths with two teams who reported to me that everything was fine, but that was it

Too Soon. I spoke too soon, suddenly an urgent howl rips through the night air from the meadow, Luka and I double back sharply and head towards the sounded alert. I jump over logs, weave in between the pines. My fur than bristles up on the back of my neck, as I then bear my teeth slightly.