Chapter 27 Who She Really Is

Listen to this while you read please :-)

***

Previously, on Love bite 

 I nod. "Sounds like a plan."

I start to walk towards the front door to start following Shelby. "Everyone, either stay here or go back home, but do not follow me or Luka," I order. Reaching the door, I then reopen it, while Luka heads towards the back door.

I shift as soon as I step outside. Shelby's nowhere in sight, but why wouldn't she be, she's fast. I lift my nose to see which direction she took. Within less than a second, I catch her sent on the breeze and take off after her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- 

  Now Sophie's P.O.V

It takes me about a minute before I'm right behind her, we're right by the Pack Hospital, but judging by the topic of the argument just a moment ago, I'm guessing she's not stopping there this time. Shelby looks behind her and spots me, she now knows I'm following her, its fine as long as she doesn't throw me off her trail.

Shelby's pace then picks up as we round a corner, I pick up my pace as well, in an attempt to try and keep up with her.

When we both get inside the forest, the playing field changes a bit. Shelby picks up more speed, not only that but her stride changes as well. From what I can see, it's a bit wider, useful for covering more ground. When we come to a large log, I'm taken aback when Shelby jumps right over it, lands, and keeps on running. I'm even more surprised at how high she can jump. We pick up even more pace the wind rushing through my fur and the dead leaves rustling by as we run.

The tricky part comes when we have to zip between the trees. Every time we have to weave in between the trees, Shelby always takes the turn sharply, I only just end up clearing most of them. It only takes a few tries of this before I know what Shelby's trying to do, she's trying to knock me into one of the trees to get me off her trail.

I'm taken aback by this new development. That's low, even for Shelby. She's my best friend, what could Shelby be hiding that's so secretive that she's willing to risk the wellbeing of her own Alpha to keep it hidden.

Shelby picks up even more pace. At this rate, I won't be able to keep up with her much longer, however, I want to finally know what she's been hiding from me, but I also don't want to get hurt in the process. Then I remember one of the things my uncle taught me, if you can't tail someone with them knowing, let them win, and secretly follow.

But Shelby knows I'm tailing her, how do I fool her into thinking I've stopped? Then I look up at the sky, it's then that I realize that I know where she's going, and now that I know that, I've also got a plan to trick her. I know where they're two trees that are tough to weave in between.

I look up and see them. This is going to hurt, but I have no other choice, I have to get to the bottom of what's going on. As the trees come closer, Shelby turns sharply and weaves, I brace myself and hit the first tree with my forehead.

I yowl sharply as the shock of the impact sends my body flying back and landing on the ground with a thud. Shelby takes off running straight towards the Northern Shore. After waiting a few moments for the pain in my head to subside, I get to my feet, shake myself off, and start following her again.

Rounding the corner, I get back to my normal running pace in a few strides. It's clear that Shelby has slowed down quite a bit, since she's thinking I've given up. Even though I'm moving slower than before, I've still got to be careful if I don't want to be heard. I look down and focus on the ground I'm running on, I stick to running on the lighter snow trails. The darker snow trails have more leaf litter and old pine needles underneath, If I make even the slightest mistake with my foot placement, it could give me away.