Chapter 1

Nawal's POV

I was 22-years-old, that's one year back, when I ran away from my house in Saudi Arabia, hoping to have a better future in London. Initially, my life as a child and as an adult was not what anyone would ever imagine or want it to be. I don't want to remember my past, as it only brings me back to my dreadful days and sleepless nights. But when I see myself in the mirror every day, the memories somehow make it's way in my mind, leaving me all messed up.

I worked jobs which paid less salary, but it was worth it. I saved that money and took coins that were on the floor of my house without anyone knowing. I even stole money from my fathers wallet. I was that desperate to leave. Luckily, nobody noticed me going out. I was almost caught when my mother saw me coming back from my work—working as a maid— but I simply lied saying I went for getting milk but forgot to take money.

I really wanted to take my little siblings, but I hardly had money for myself, let alone for their ticket and food. I was bit assured that they will be fine till I earn more money and take them as the problem of my parents was with me, not with Aziza or Redouane.

The night when I planned to escape, I placed feathery-kiss on their foreheads and promised to rescue them. They didn't know the suffering I went through and I made sure they never would. I almost cancelled my plan of running away, almost.

When I reached the airport, the first thing I felt was freedom. Freedom from everything. But there was a part of me that was sad. I loved my country, I loved it a lot. But the memories are what made it made me feel suffocated. The day I return to this place is only when I pick my siblings. Then I will never, ever step in this country again.

I don't really know why London was on my list to escape. Maybe it was the fact that nobody would ever imagine me staying there. And that was my goal. And when I took first steps in London, I felt as free as a bird. That was the first time a small smile was plastered on my face.

Not a University graduate and expecting to work with a good salary? The thought was scary but there's no other option for me. I need to find my survival ways inorder to not spend my remaining life on the road.

»»»♥«««

I checked for the cheapest place to stay, here in Sutton, London. Majority of the motels were too expensive for me. But I managed to find a shelter. It wasn't clean in most places, but at least I got a place.

A year later and a whole lot working, I got a decent place to stay and a good car. Being a maid and working for at least ten people, doing my night shift at a small cafe exhausted me a lot. But at least I can eat food before the expiration date and without worrying about the expenses.

The place where I worked as a maid back in Saudi Arabia, the lady was a good-hearted person. Her kids left her alone and she considered me as her child and let me use a laptop, applying for jobs. She insisted on giving me more money, but I politely declined. Before leaving, she handed me a mobile, the laptop I used and little money to buy a car. It wasn't much, but I really appreciated it. At that moment I realised that there are  people that will mean more and care for you than the ones that are blood-related.

The net connection was crap, but I could at least check who accepted my resume. It wasn't surprising when many of the companies 'politely' rejected. My hope was slowly getting down and I almost closed my laptop when I thought to open the last email. I didn't want to start my morning with sadness. But, that's life. Nothing comes easily and would lay on your palms without you working hard for it.