Chapter 8

"You can't come?" Kanan repeated.

"I'm sorry. But this is my home and Hope needs me. The dragons need me. I can't join the Rebellion" Fawn told them.

"However. I can still help you fight as a Fulcrum agent. I'll let you know about any new shipments and missions that might come in useful."

"Thanks Fawn" Hera said.

"Hera, Kanan. Could I have a word with you two?" Fawn asked.

"Sure."

Fawn looked at the others.

"You're welcome to look around the Sanctuary. Hurricane? Could you please show them around?"

"Course" the dragon replied standing. He'd been sitting by the window.

Ezra, Sabine, Zeb and Chopper followed Hurricane out the door.

The group walked from the building into the fields. Dragons were everywhere. Ezra looked up at Hurricane.

"What are the squadrons for?" He asked. 

Hurricane looked down at the boy and smiled.

"They're to group and identify some of our dragons. There's over thirty squadrons and all have different attributes. There's red squadron who are called that because of their strength in destruction. Green Squadron who are the greatest at camouflaging. Blue Squadron who are the best at protection. There are quite a few and all are great warriors."

"Are you in any of them?" Zeb asked.

"As a matter of fact, yes. I'm about to be promoted to commander of Blue Squadron in a few weeks" Hurricane replied.

"Who's squadron is Emerald in?" Sabine inquired.

"My sister? She isn't in one yet. She needs to complete her training first then she'll be admitted. We're assuming she'll be placed in Amazonite Squadron."

The group walked towards a large wooden building. Hurricane opened the doors and they went in.

"Welcome to the stables" Hurricane smiled.

The stables were huge. No joke. They could hold all the dragons on the planet so go figure. Cosy pens, straw filled boxes, and troughs layered with food and water were throughout the building. Ezra looked up to the ceiling that seemed so far above them. Some dragons hung from their tails from the strong wooden poles coming from it. Others rested on the stabilisers of the building or in the pens. A few doors were closed but a majority of them were open with the dragons heads coming from the door ways. Ezra's mouth was open as he gazed upon the dragons.

"Oi! Whiplash! Come down here!" Hurricane yelled to a dragon up in the rafters.

One of the reptiles flapped down from his place and landed in front of the group.

"Whiplash, this is some of the Ghost crew. Sabine, Zeb, Chopper and Ezra. Kanan and Hera are back in the hall with Fawn. Ezra and Kanan are both Force sensitive" Hurricane introduced the crew.

Whiplash was almost exactly like Hurricane except his horns were slightly curled at the ends and his spines were thinner. At the end of his barbed tail, were yellow spikes and his wing talons were sharper.

"Guys this is my brother. Whiplash" Hurricane told them.

"How many siblings do you have?" Sabine asked.

"Just Emerald and Whiplash. Emerald is the youngest and Whiplash is thirteen years younger then me..."

Ezra wasn't listening to the dragon. He was looking up at Whiplash with fascination. The dragon looked so proud and rebellious. The reptile was looking down at Ezra with the same interest. To him, the boy looked very adventurous and daring.

"Ezra? Ezra?"

"Huh? What?" Ezra looked round to see Kanan.

"We're about to go. You ready?"

Ezra looked back at Whiplash.

"I suppose" he said.

Kanan smiled.

"I know you'd rather stay here, but we need to get back to the Rebellion."

"Got it."

Whiplash followed his brother, Fawn and the crew back to the Ghost.

"I'll keep in touch about anything new" Fawn promised as they walked on to the ramp.

"It's been good meeting you Fawn" Hera said.

The woman nodded.

"Oh, one more thing. On transmissions, you call me either Fulcrum or Draconic. Okay?"

"Understood. We don't want the Empire knowing about all this" Kanan agreed.

The Ghost crew went into the ship and Hera activated it. Fawn, Hurricane and Whiplash waved as the Ghost took off and disappeared into the clouds.

"What is it Whiplash?" Fawn asked seeing the dragon's distracted expression.

"I dunno. Just feel like there was something in that boy. Ezra."

"Something in him? Like what? I already told you he had the Force" Hurricane told him.

"I know. It wasn't the Force though. It's something else and it's strong."

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Star-Wars-Dragons out 🐲