Chapter 24

"Ezra! We're back! Sorry we're late, the battle took longer than we expected. The Empire sent three Star Destroyers to reinforce the Light Cruisers!" Fawn called, opening the library door and walking in with Hurricane.

Taking off her helmet, she put it in the bag attached to Hurricane's leather saddle. Looking up, she felt confused.

"Ezra?" She called again.

No answer met her ears. She saw the pile of Ezra's books were lying on a table near them. Looking at Hurricane who shrugged, she walked towards the bookshelves.

"Take a look on the next story. He might've gone to take a look at Force abilities" Fawn told Hurricane who nodded and took off.

"Ezra?" She called again looking in the isles of the books.

After two minutes, Hurricane flew down.

"He's not there" he told her.

"Well, then he has to be here somewhere."

The two looked up to the forbidden floor of books.

"You don't think he..."

"He can't of. Security is way too complex for him to crack" Fawn replied.

"But just in case" Hurricane said.

"You know, yeah. You're right. You're right. Take a look but if he has managed to get inside there..."

"You're gonna kill him" Hurricane finished taking off.

Fawn continued to look from isle to isle of books. Trying to find the missing boy. But after five minutes of searching, Hurricane flew down looking perplexed.

"Still nothing" he told her.

"I told him not to leave this building. Where would he go?" Fawn asked.

"I can think of multiple places" Hurricane shook his head.

"But the most likely is Whiplash persuaded him to go flying."

"Come on, let's find them" Fawn said.

The dragon and rider went out and Fawn mounted the reptile. Taking off, Hurricane flapped in the air, looking round curiously.

"Come on buddy, we gotta get moving" Fawn the dragon.

"No need to, I found them" Hurricane smiled looking down.

Fawn followed his gaze to see Ezra lying down on the roof of the library, Whiplash was curled up on his chest. Fawn's expression softened and Hurricane looked at her with a smile. He flew down and landed quietly on the roof, not wanting to disturb them. Ezra had his arms over Whiplash's little body in a protective embrace.

"I've never seen Whiplash like this before, and I've known him for fiteen years" Hurricane purred.

"It's different isn't it? When Whiplash is with Ezra, he's open and more playful, but when he's with anyone else he's enclosed and sensitive" Fawn told him.

The dragon nodded in agreement.

"Let's get em to the landing port. Hera will be arriving soon" Fawn said approaching the two friends.

She carefully lifted Ezra into her arms where the boy gave a small groan of protest before settling down again. His head resting on Fawn's shoulder and Whiplash's claws hanging from Ezra's sides. Fawn smiled and carried the boy to Hurricane who bent down so she could get on him easily. Taking off, Hurricane crossed the sky to the landing ports where Fawn got off a few seconds after he touched down.

"Could you get Ezra's books? They're the small pile on the closest table" Fawn told the dragon who nodded and took off again.

Fawn looked down on Ezra who was resting in her arms. She smiled gently then realised Whiplash had woken.

"What...?" He began.

"Shh, you'll wake Ezra" Fawn told him quietly.

The young dragon looked over at see Ezra's eyes shut.

"Sorry" he whispered.

"How'd we get here? What time is it?"

"Hurricane and I found you two on the roof of the library a few minutes ago. Hera's gonna be here any second."

"Ezra was reading up there. We could see the battle."

"You coul?"

"Well, a few explosions, that's it" Whiplash replied.

Fawn nodded. Hurricane suddenly landed with Fawn's saddle bag full of books and one in his mouth.

"Found this on the roof tops" he told them showing it to Fawn.

"Inquisitors? Why would Ezra be looking up Inquisitors?" The jedi asked.

"Beats me" Hurricane shrugged putting it in the bag.

Whiplash yawned and snuggled back into Ezra's chest, eyelids closing and soon enough, soft snores came from the dragon.

"Like I said, more open" Fawn whispered to Hurricane who smiled.

The two looked up at the rumble of an engine to see the Ghost landing. Surprisingly, this didn't wake Ezra or Whiplash up at all. Steam flew from the landing supports and the ramp opened. Kanan, Kyber and Sabine walked from the opening and blinked in surprise at the sight.

"What'd you do to him?" Kanan asked resting a hand on Ezra's forehead.

"Nothing. he fell asleep at his own accord on the roof tops of the library" Fawn replied.

"Don't let Hera hear you say that" Sabine smiled.

"Let's get them inside. Did you get the books?" Kyber asked as kanan took Ezra from Fawn and went back up the ramp.

"Yep. Took a while though. We kept reading books throughout the process" Hurricane replied.

"That's my boy" Kyber chuckled walking up the ramp with his son.

Sabine looked over at Fawn as the went up the entryway.

"What is it?" The Mandalorin asked.

"I think Kyber's decision to join the rebellion is proving very good. Moonshine told me that he's spending more time with Hurricane and Whiplash. It's great became he isolated himself from his family for a very long time."

"Are you saying joining the rebellion changed him?"

"I think everyone in the rebellion has changed him. Especially Kanan."

Sabine gave a snort of laughter.

"Kanan?" She repeated.

"Yeah. Kyber's warmed up to him the most. Kanan persuaded him to mediate with him and I think it's helping him. Thing is, Kyber used to mediate back on Kabera except he did it alone."

Sabine looked over at Fawn.

"Are you saying Kanan has the potential to become a dragon rider too and Kyber's his dragon?" She asked.

"What? No. I'm not saying that at all. But, it's possible Kanan could have the potential but a dragon would've told me. Besides, Kyber couldn't be Kanan's dragon anyway. Every rider has one dragon in the entire universe. If the rider dies, the dragon cannot have another in its saddle."

"Fawn, do the dragons tell you everything?" Sabine asked as the Ghost lifted off.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?"

"Have you ever thought they might not be telling you some things?"

Fawn opened her mouth to reply, but hesitated.

"I...I have thought about that a few times, but they trust me. I think."

Fawn looked at the ground in thought.

Was Kyber really lying to her?