Chapter 25

Ezra's eyelids fluttered open. He looked round to see he was in his cabin, a stack of books on his table and a blanket over his legs.He felt confused. When did he get there? The last thing he remembered was reading on the library roof with Whiplash.
Speaking of, where was the little trouble maker? He glanced round the room but saw no sign of the Shadow Wing. Sitting up, he stretched and checked the time on his holo-pad. Past six in the evening. Rubbing his eyes, he got down and went to find someone.

"Hello sleeping beauty" Hurricane teased when the boy entered the common room.

"Hey Hurricane. Where is everyone? And how did I get here" Ezra asked, ignoring the dragon's remark.

"Fawn and I found you asleep on the library's roof a few hours ago. Hera picked us up and Kanan put you to bed" Hurricane answered.

"And where is everyone?"

"Hera's in the cockpit, Sabine's in her room like normal, and everyone's else is out on an OP."

"Even Fawn?" Ezra asked, confused on why she would her best friend behind.

"Oh, everyone else except Fawn. She said she needed to speak with dad" Hurricane told him. 

"Why does she need to talk with Kyber?"

"Beats me, but she booted all the dragons from her room so it must be important."

Fawn sat beside a small Kyber in her cabin. The dragon was looking anywhere but Fawn. He seemed distracted and nervous.

"Kyber, do you feel a connection with Kanan? Like an unexplainable," Fawn paused.

"Understanding with him. I've noticed you've gotten along best with Kanan."

"So what if I've warmed to Kanan? Who wouldn't? He's understanding and kind. He gets me" the dragon told her.

"If your starting to feel a connection, you're growing a bond" Fawn said.

The dragon growled and looked away.

"Kyber" Fawn said.

"All I want to know is if you've sensed a potential in Kanan."

"Does it matter?" The dragon said bitterly, looking at the floor.

"Yes, it does" Fawn told him sternly.

"If Kanan does have a dragon riding ability, I need to know so I can teach him to use it."

Kyber sighed heavily and looked at Fawn.

"If he does, then that means I'm his dragon which is impossible because there's only one dragon for every rider in the galaxy. It's a rule and I'm sticking to it."  

"I know you better then that" Fawn said.

Kyber growled to himself before glaring at her.

"Because of me, Ben is dead. I couldn't protect him so what hope to I have of protecting Kanan if he does become my rider? I don't want to get him killed too! I don't want to feel pain like that again!"

Tears were beginning to gather in the dragon's eyes as Fawn picked him up. Holding him in her arms, she gently stroked his back.

"Kyber, Ben's death wasn't your fault, it never was. You did all you could to stop him from dying. You're lucky to be alive. You came down from the sky's like a bomb."

"That wing injury still haunts me" Kyber said quietly, looking at his right wing that had a long scar.

"Ben would want you to relieve the good days buddy. This is your chance to start over."

Kyber purred in thought then sighed. 

"Kanan does have the potential. I sensed it" he muttered softly after a while.

"But that means I'm his dragon. How does that even begin to make sense? It's an ancient record that one dragon can have one rider."

"I know Kyber, we're dealing with some seriously mixed up matters. I don't know how it's happened, but what I do know is that you have some thinking to do. I won't tell Kanan he has the potential until you're ready to be ridden again."

"Thanks Fawn."

"Don't mention it."