Chapter 66

"Whiplash" Ezra said.

The dragon purred but stayed where he was. Fawn stepped back as Ezra approached his friend. They stood within a few feet of one another, eyes connected.
"This isn't the last goodbye Whiplash, I promise" Ezra said.

"I want to believe that" Whiplash admitted.

"Then believe it. Listen boy,"

Ezra held up his marked hand, doing his best to hold back tears. Whiplash looked at Ezra's hand, rumbling in his throat.

"No matter what happens, I'm with you. Till the end of the galaxy and time itself. We're connected through an unbreakable bond. Even if we're separated, we're still part of each other. The marks prove that."

Whiplash purred, gazing at Ezra before pressing the bridge of his nose into Ezra's palm. A sharp, hot pain shot through both of them, but it was good pain. Ezra then remembered the first time he'd ever met Whiplash, the first time he'd been saved by Whiplash, bonding with the dragon and riding him to the clouds. Whiplash recalled all the good times and bad experiences with Ezra. The times they ate, fought and trained together. They'd been through so much. Anger and sadness, joy and sorrow. Everything came crashing down on the two like a tsunami of emotions and history. They looked into one anothers eyes, an ache searing in their hearts. Ezra had tried to be strong for his friend but his attempts didn't help. Tears were brimming in his blue eyes. He moved forward and hugged the dragon's neck, sniffing. Whiplash gurgled sadly, leaning into the embrace. They stayed like that until Ezra heard a soft shaky breath. He pulled away and was surprised to see tears rolling down Whiplash's face.

"Since when did the Great Whiplash cry?" Ezra teased lightly.

"Oh shut up" Whiplash rolled his eyes but was smiling.

Ezra wiped away the tears but didn't bother doing the same to himself. He embraced his friend again and around him, the other riders were saying their goodbyes to their dragons.

"Keep up with your artistry skills girl" Sabine scratched Colour Fly's muzzle.

"You keep impressing me with your art so don't let me down."

"I won't. I promise" Colour Fly replied.

Sabine took her hands from the dragon's head and threw her arms around her neck. Colour Fly sat on her hind legs and put her front paws around her rider.

"Take care of your family Moonshine" Hera said.

"Only if you take care of yours" the dragon replied.

Hera hugged Moonshine to her chest with a sigh.

"I'll never forget you" she whispered.

"Same here."

"You sure you'll be okay Kyber? Last time you lost your rider you went into depression" Kanan said

"Kanan, I'll be fine. Besides, I became depressed because Ben died. You however, are alive. But if you die on me, I'll kill you."

"I get your drift" Kanan laughed slightly, pressing his forehead into the dragon's.

"We'll see each other again right?" Kyber asked quietly.

"Yes" Kanan replied.

"I promise we will, what would you do without me anyway?"

Kyber exhlaed a chuckle and pressed into Kanan's forehead.

"Don't get emotional Bludgeon" Zeb warned as he rested a hand on his dragon's shoulder blade. 

"I'm not like the other dragons Zeb, I'm not sappy" Bludgeon rumbled.

Zeb butted heads with Bludgeon affectionatlly. Their way of showing their appreciation for each other.

Fawn watched as the rebels said their farewells to their friends. It didn't seem right for them to part ways, but what choice was there? Hurricane pressed himself underneath Fawn's arm and the girl lay a hand over the dragon's head. The riders drew away from their dragons and walked towards the Ghost.

"Hey Hera" Fawn said, approaching them.

"Yeah Fawn?"

"Do me a favour, give Ahsoka my goodbye for me."
Hera nodded as Fawn went over to Ezra and embraced him tightly one last time before the Ghost Crew climbed onto the ship. They all went into the cockpit, and looked down on Fawn and the dragons. The Gray Jedi gave them a two fingered salute as the Ghost took off. The dragons suddenly breathed in and shot fireballs into the sky. They exploded like fireworks and the embers twinkled like stars. Ezra smiled down at his sister, waving. Fawn returned the action until the Ghost flew into the black clouds and out of view. She sighed heavily and dropped her hand.

"So what do we do now?" Hurricane asked.

"We start afresh" Fawn replied.

"We're going to rebuild Kabera to make it stronger. No matter how long that takes."

"And what if the rebellion needs us?" Whiplash asked.

Fawn smiled slightly.

"Then we go to them. We were a blurred mark before we joined their ranks. Then we became symbols of their rebellion."

"So what are we now?" Moonshine inquired.

Once again, Fawn smiled before answering.

"We're a shadow of hope."