Chapter 52

A blizzard blew snow across Geonosis's moon. A cavern could just been seen through the cold, white storm. Inside, Kallus, Zeb and Bludgeon sat near the glowing meteorite. Zeb was fiddling with the transponder. 

"Let's hope this works, of course since you adjusted it, we won't know who will pick up its signal" Kallus said.

"Guess all we can do is wait" Zeb shrugged, placing the transponder on the ground and putting his hands near the meteorite.

"Least we've got this to keep us warm."

Kallus looked at Zeb.

"Still think your friends will find you?" He asked.

"Unless the Empire gets here first" Zeb replied.

Kallus hesitated for a moment before speaking again.

"On Lerassan, it...it wasn't supposed to be a masacar. I realised the Empire wanted to make an example, and I know before, I took credit for it." 

Zeb looked away, brow furrowed. Bludgeon gave a deep gurgle and gently butted Zeb's hand.

"What happened on Lerassan, it's over for me. Moved on" Zeb said, patting Bludgeon.

"By the way, it's Zeb. My name, it's Zeb."

"Short for Garazeb, I know" Kallus nodded.

"And he's called Bludgeon by the way, if you didn't already know."

"I did" Kallus said and Bludgeon chuffed.

The snow storm died down after a while and in the cavern, the trio were waiting. However, not in the way anyone would expect. Kallus had his head resting on Zeb's shoulder while Bludgeon lay across their legs. All three of them were fast asleep. A small roar of engines woke them and they instantly scrambled away from one another before realising what had woken them.

"That's a ship" Kallus realised.

"Yeah, but who's?" Bludgeon asked.

Zeb stood up and offered a hand to Kallus.

"Come on" he said, helping the Imperial up.

Kallus got to his feet and put an arm over Zeb's shoulders. They walked from the cave into the open with Bludgeon beside them.

"Oh, your friends did find you" Kallus said.

"Like I said they would" Zeb replied as the Ghost landed a few yards away from them.

"You know, we will treat you fairly."

"Huh, I'll take my chances with the Empire" Kallus said walking back a bit from the Lasat.

"Zeb."

Zeb placed a hand into his fist and bowed his head. Kallus seemed a little surprised but returned the action. Zeb smiled and moved away.

"Come on Bludgeon, we've kept them waiting long enough" he said.

The dragon looked round at Kallus.

"You sure you're going to be okay?" He asked.

Kallus exhaled a chuckle and smiled at the dragon.

"I'm sure."

Bludgeon nodded before going over to Kallus and rubbing his head against his knees. Kallus rolled his eyes but patted the dragon anyway.

"Go on" he said.

Bludgeon gave a final nod before turning and loping after his rider. Kallus took cover behind the cavern so that the other rebels wouldn't see him.

"Zeb!" Ezra and Sabine yelled, running down the ramp as Zeb reached them.

"Told you he'd be fine" Kanan said.

Whiplash and Bludgeon ran at one another and butted their heads together.

"Zeb! You made it!" Ezra smiled.

"We picked up you beacon we were so worried" Hera said.

"It wasn't so bad, we've all been in tighter spots. I knew you'd find me eventually" Zeb replied.

"You're not hurt are you?" Fawn inquired.

"I'm not, but Bludgeon could use some medical attention" Zeb replied.

Fawn went over to the dragon and instantly noticed the broken wing. Crouching beside Bludgeon, she carefully looked over the limb.

"It's not too serious. It'll be healed in a week or so" she remarked.

Zeb nodded before turning to look at the cave in the distance.

"Alright, come on Zeb it's cold out here" Ezra said breathing on his hands.

"You've been in it for two seconds" Zeb growled.

"Yeah, two seconds too long" the teen replied.

Fawn looked out to the white plains and her gaze narrowed. As everyone went up the ramp, she stared hard at the shapes in the distance.

"Draconic Elbis" she whispered and her vision instantly went into Dragon Sight.

She saw a single person standing in a cave. Their body heat a little low but stable. She reconised the person, even from the distance from where they stood.

"Kallus" Fawn muttered.

She had a mad urge to run to the man's rescue but decided against it.

'He probably crashed here with Zeb' she thought.

'And if that's the case, Zeb would've offered him the possibility to join us.'

"Fawn come on!" Hurricane called from the entry hall and the Gray Jedi ran into the Ghost, her eyes returning to normal.

'He'll be fine' she convinced herself as the ramp closed behind her.

"You okay Fawn?" Ezra asked as the others went up the ladder.

"Huh? Yeah I'm alright, I'd best take Bludgeon to the medic bay though" Fawn replied.

"Want a hand dealing with the wing?"

"It'll be good practice for you, sure" Fawn nodded.

The Ghost lifted from the ground and took off into the sky. Kallus watched it go and looked back at the transponder.

'The Empire will come' he thought as his gaze shifted to the glowing meteorite.

'Just like Zeb's friends did.'