Chapter 19

Falling.
Falling through a nightmare. Ezra was going deeper into the toxic gas. He fell for what felt like forever. Whiplash flapped despretly under the gas, roaring Ezra's name in hope for a reply. He could barely see anything as he searched. Only thing he'd forgotten, he didn't activate his shield and fumes were entering his lungs. 

"They've been down there for a long time" Fawn said worridly.

Hurricane, Colour Fly and Kyber were flapping above the gas with the rebels astride them. Looking down into the fumes worridly.
Kanan clutched Ezra's helmet fearfully.

"Without this he won't be able to breathe" he said looking at the helmet.

"You need to trust my son Kanan. He'll find him" Kyber told him confidently.

"I really hope you're right" Sabine said.

Whiplash circled for what felt like the hundredth time. His vision was beginning to blur and his searching was fruitless. He couldn't ​see Ezra anywhere. The dragon was starting to get agitated and gave another roar in hope for a reply. He did get one, but not in the way he expected.

"Whiplash."

"Ezra?"

"Help...I'm dying."

"Where are you?"

"I don't know."

"Activate your lightsaber. I'll be able to see it."

"Whiplash I...I can't move."

Hearing this, Whiplash's fear increased.

"What do you mean you can't move?"

"I've landed. I think I've broken something."

"Could you at least try?"

Whiplash didn't hear a reply which worried him.

"Ezra? Ezra are you there? Ezra? Ezra?!"

Whiplash called desperately for his friend but there was no answer. Suddenly, a faint, blue light was just seen through the fumes.

"Ezra" Whiplash muttered before shooting like a bullet towards the light.

He heard rasping and violent coughing. He landed near the source of noise and approached it quickly. He could make out a shaking, oranage form. Hand curled around a lightsaber.

"Ezra?" Whiplash whispered gently nudging the boy's shoulder.

The Padawan opened his eyes a fraction and looked up at the dragon.

"Whiplash" he choked.

"I'm gonna get you out of here. Just hang on."

Whiplash lifted Ezra into his arms the best he could but still heard him rasp in pain. The dragon raised his wings and took off.

"That's it. I'm going down there" Fawn said.

Suddenly, Whiplash shot from the fumes. As soon as he entered space, he activated his shield.

"Whiplash!" Kanan called.

The dragons quickly flew to their friend and a horrifying sight met their gaze. Now they were above the fumes, they could see Ezra clearly. The boy was barely moving with his right arm twisted in an odd angle. Blood was trickling from his cheek where it had been cut and he was curled in Whiplash's talons. Leaning into him weakly.

"Let's get him to the Ghost" Kanan said.

Whiplash immediately turned and flapped to the ship with the others right behind.

~ 1 hour later

Whiplash paced opposite to Kanan in the common room.
The other members of the Ghost crew, including Fawn and the dragons, were sitting on the couch. Hera had been working on Ezra for the past hour in the command ship's Med-bay. And in that time, Kanan and Whiplash hadn't stopped walking back and forth. The others had been watching the two pace restlessly.

"Guys" Fawn said getting their attention.

"Ezra will be fine. You know that."

Kanan sighed and resumed pacing as did Whiplash.

"There's no point arguing with Kanan, Fawn. You're trying to calm a overprotective father" Sabine muttered to her.

Fawn smiled a little at that. The door hissed open and Hera walked in.

"Well?" Kanan asked.

"He'll be fine. He's staying in bed for a while though until I'm satisfied. He breathed in quite a lot of those fumes. His arm will heal in a few weeks and I've cleaned up his cuts."

"You mean he had more then one? We only saw the one on his face" Colour Fly said.

"He had a few scrapes on his neck and injured arm but other then that, he's fine" Hera told the concerned dragon.

"Can we see him?" Whiplash asked.

Hera nodded.

Kanan opened the Medic-bay door and saw Ezra lying in one of the beds. His eyes were closed but his breathing was better then it was before. Whiplash flapped on to Ezra's bed and lay down beside his uninjured limb. Resting his head on Ezra's chest, Whiplash sighed.

"I'm so sorry Ezra. I should've stopped this from happening" he purred sadly.

"What are you talking about Whiplash?" Hera asked as she sat on the bed.

"If it wasn't for you, Ezra probably wouldn't​ be here."

"I just feel like I could've stoped him from hitting the ground. But at least I found him before he could die."

"How did you find him?" Hurricane asked sitting on the end of the bed.

"It's quite hard to explain. It was like we were talking through our minds. I told him to activate his lightsaber so I could see him and he did it."

Hurricane and Fawn looked at one another with surprise.

"It was a weird experience" Whiplash said.

"Umm, Kanan? Hera? Could I have a word with you two?" Fawn asked.

"Sure" Kanan agreed.

He gently rubbed Ezra's shoulder and went out the door.

"If he wakes, explain to him what happened. If something goes wrong or if he's in pain, tell me okay?" Hera asked.

"Sure" Sabine agreed.

The Jedi and Twe'lik followed Fawn to the common room where they sat down.

"What is it Fawn?" Kanan asked.

"Whiplash said he had spoken to Ezra through his mind. The only way to do that, is create a secure connection through friendship and trust. When you guys first came to Kabera, Whiplash told me he sensed something strong in Ezra that wasn't just the Force."

"So what are you saying?" Hera asked.

"It is known by ancient records that only a dragon can sense a potential inside someone. That potential is a possibility to become a dragon rider. And only the dragon that the rider owns can sense the potential in them. Whiplash sensed it. Ezra owns it. Ezra has the capability of becoming a powerful and very strong dragon rider."

Dun dun dun!!!
I love cliffhangers.
Suggestions are open.

Star-Wars-Dragons out 🐲