Chapter 35

After a week of non stop reading, the three possible Dragon Riders had finished their studies. Fawn was surprised at their test results. Zeb had achieved eighty four percent, Hera got eighty nine percent, while Sabine scored ninety seven.
After a very successful test, Fawn got Hera, Zeb and Sabine together to meet their new dragons. They were all very happy with their steeds because they harboured skills and hobbies the rebels possessed too. For instance, Moonshine loved flying like Hera, Colour Fly enjoyed doing art like Sabine, and Bludgeon enjoyed beating up Stormtroopers like Zeb. After getting the spiral mark on their hands, the three rebels began training with Fawn and Ezra.

"Alright, barrel rolling is a common move in Dragon Riding and you need know how to stay in the saddle when this occurs. Grip your dragon's horns tightly as well as locking your knees into the saddle" Fawn instructed.

"Dragon scales are extremely tough so they won't feel anything" Ezra added.

Fawn, Ezra, and the three new Dragon Riders were flying on their winged reptiles high in the sky of Lothal. They were doing some training to get Hera, Sabine and Zeb familiar with the basics of Dragon Riding.

Kanan sat on the Ghost's ramp, gazing up at the five dragons in the sky. He felt a little envious that all his friends were now Dragon Riders in training. After his first ever flight on Hurricane, he felt free. Then when the Ghost crew went in a mission to collect fuel, his flight on Kyber brought back the feeling.

"Hey."

Kanan looked round to see Kyber at the top of the ramp.

"Hey" Kanan replied.

"What you doing out here?" Kyber asked walking down the ramp.

"Just watching the others" Kanan answered.

Kyber looked up at the sky where his flying friends were.

"You want to be up there too?" He asked.

"Yeah, kinda" Kanan admitted.

Kyber felt a touch of guilt knowing Kanan could possibly be his rider, and he was the reason Kanan couldn't join the others in the sky. He was just too afraid he would kill Kanan like he'd killed Ben.

"Hey, I've got a question for you" Kanan said suddenly.

"What is it?" Kyber asked.

"Why do you blame yourself for Ben's death?"

Kyber felt a stab of emotions. Guilt, pain, anger and sadness. The four things he'd always felt at the mention of Ben's name. It took Kyber at least two minutes to reply.

"When a rider and dragon have the spiral symbol on their body's, it's more than just a mark, it's a promise."

"A promise?" Kanan repeated.

"A promise to what?"

"It's a promise that the dragon and rider will protect and fight for one another till their dying days.

"Well, are you ready to accept you kept that promise?" Kanan asked.

Kyber's eyes widened and looked round at Kanan. The man was gazing at the dragon.

"What? But I didn't keep it" Kyber said.

"Yes you did. You protected Ben from danger until he died. He sacrificed himself Kyber, and he would want you to be happy wouldn't he? Ever since his death, you've been misreable and that's affected those around you. Kyber, you were never responsible for Ben's death, okay?"

Kyber smiled slightly and looked over at Kanan.

"You know, you remind me a lot of Ben. Understanding, affectionate. I'm really glad I met you."

Kanan put a hand on Kyber's back with a smile.

"And I'm glad I met you."