Chapter 64

"You're leaving" Ezra repeated.

"B-But why?"

"Ezra, you've seen had badly Kabera has been hit by the Empire. I need to help my home" Fawn replied.

The teen's gaze fell to Whiplash who was sitting beside Fawn.

"You're going too?" He asked, not wanting for it to be true.

"I'm sorry Ezra" Whiplash bowed his head.

"We all are. Kabera isn't just Fawn's home, it's ours too. Believe me, if I could stay I would. But I need to help Kabera."

Ezra couldn't believe what he was hearing. Not only was his own sister leaving, but his dragon was too. All the dragons he'd made friends with were going to leave. Hera however, seemed to understand.

"It's okay Fawn" she said.

"But at least let us know if we can do anything to help."

Fawn shook her head.

"It's my task alone to rebuild what the dragons have lost. A lot of my people are gone as well as dragons so I need to make Kabera stronger. I don't want to leave, I love you all dearly. It's like being part of a family. But, right now, Kabera needs me more than the rebellion."

Hera nodded.

"When will you be leaving?" She asked.

"Today. I'll need to pack my things."

Hera once again nodded, but Fawn could see the sadness in the Twe'liks eyes. Fawn left the common room with Hurricane. The other bonded dragons however, stayed where they were.

"I understand why you guys need to leave too" Sabine said.

"But why? I read that a bonded dragon and rider should never separate. It creates a rift in their connection and can often make them get something called Bonding Sickness. It's something that poisons a rider and dragon's minds and causes them an immense amounts of pain. The symbol on their bodies burns and itches while their minds get messed up. Some even kill themselves to stop the suffering."

Moonshine nodded.

"That is a possibility Sabine, but it won't be forever. The ones who get Bonding Sickness are the ones who part with their bonded companion for a very long time. We however, will return. I promise" she said. 

"Huh, right" Ezra said sarcastically.

"Last time someone made that promise to me, they never came back."

The boy stood and left the room with his arms crossed. Kyber gently butted Whiplash with his side and made a motion with his eyes to follow Ezra. The dragon nodded and slinked after his rider.

"Ezra's lost a lot in his life" Kanan said.

"I don't know how he's going to handle Fawn and Whiplash leaving him too."

Ezra sat on the Ghost's ramp, clutching his legs as he watched the smoke from the stables rise. He couldn't believe it. His own sister was leaving him for her home world. And to make matters worse, so was Whiplash. Ezra was heartbroken by the fact his beloved dragon was going to be separated from him for who knows how long. There was the risk of Bonding Sickness if the reptile stayed away from him for a while. Ezra shuddered at the thought of unbearable pain inflicted in him because he and Whiplash parted ways. Ezra suddenly sensed a concerned and gentle presence coming towards him.

"Go away Whiplash" Ezra growled.

Whiplash, who was behind his rider, gave a soft rumble of surprise at his rider's sharp words.

"Ezra, I..."

"I said go away!" Ezra snapped, hating how his voice broke mid sentence.

Whiplash gurgled in his throat in hurt. He was about to walk back up but paused on the ramp.

"All I was going to say was that Fawn is doing this because Kabera is where she's lived for years. Seeing it in shambles is hard but seeing the ones she loved gone with it is harder. And besides," Whiplash looked over at Ezra who had his back to him.

"You'd do the same for Lothal."

Ezra gave an intake of breath as his eyes widened. He heard his dragon walking away and suddenly felt guilty for snapping at his friend. He'd already lost his kin and home, he didn't need Ezra letting his feeling out at him.

"Whiplash wait" Ezra turned round. 

"I'm...I'm sorry. It's just, I don't want you and Fawn to go."

Whiplash paused on the ramp again, he looked round at his rider. Eyes full of sadness.

"We don't want to go either" he purred sadly.

"But what choice do we have?"

Ezra exhaled and watched as his dragon continued up the ramp.

"I don't want to be alone, please don't leave me yet."

Whiplash froze.

Please don't leave me yet

The words echoed in Whiplash's head. Ezra didn't want him to go. With a touch of affection for his best friend, he turned and walked back down to Ezra.

"I'm not leaving you yet...woah!"

Whiplash found himself being embraced on Ezra's lap, the teen hugging the dragon tightly. Tears were threatening to fall from the boy's shut eyes as he buried his face into his best friend's neck. Whiplash felt stunned. He'd never seen this side of Ezra. So broken and afraid.

'Was he waring a mask to hide his true emotions from everyone?' the dragon wondered.

'If that's the case, why did he use the mask on me as well? Does he not trust me?'

"I do trust you" Ezra whispered.

"I just don't want to be pitied."

Whiplash realised he didn't close his thoughts off to Ezra but didn't feel frustrated that his rider heard what he'd been thinking.

"Ezra, I would never think less of you" Whiplash told his friend firmly.

"I care about you so it doesn't matter what happens."

Ezra gave a shaky exhale and hugged his dragon tighter to his chest. He wanted the moment to last forever but knew he'd part with Whiplash very soon.

And that, was the worst thing to wait for.