Chapter 31

The Ghost docked with the command ship later that day. The crew dispersed from the ship to the briefing room, Whiplash on Ezra's shoulder while Hurricane walked beside Fawn. Sato and Rex looked over as the doors opened and the group walked in.

"Captain Syndulla, I trust your mission was successful?" Sato asked.

"Yes sir. Ezra got his dragon" Hera replied looking at Whiplash.

The dragon chuffed and smiled at Sato.

"Hmm, so it was Whiplash after all" the commander said.

Fawn nodded then looked round the room, suddenly, she froze.

"Fawn? What is it?" Hurricane asked.

It was like the Jedi was paralyzed, she was rigid, staring at something. Hurricane looked to where Fawn was, and he too froze.

"Guys?" Ezra asked, looking to where they were staring.

Ahsoka was on the other side of the projecter table, looking at Fawn like she was seeing things.

"Ahsoka?" Fawn said after a while.

"Fawn" the Togruta breathed.

A second passed before Fawn had ran at Ahsoka and hugged her tightly. Ahsoka put her own arms round the Jedi and returned the gesture.

"You're here, you're alive, how did you...?" Fawn was grinning with joy, still getting over the shock of seeing Ahsoka.

"I can't believe you're still alive either" Ahsoka smiled, absolute joy on her face as they pulled away.

Hurricane flapped over and landed on Ahsoka's shoulder.

"Hurricane, you haven't changed a bit" Ahsoka said giving the dragon a pat.

"But you have. Heck, you've grown a ton since the last time I saw you" Hurricane replied, flying onto Fawn's shoulder.

"Okay, someone want to clue us in here?" Whiplash asked.

"Right, sorry. I knew Ahsoka when we were both young, but after she got an apprenticeship from Master Skywalker, we never saw one another again" Fawn told them.

"See you still have your hair over your shoulder" Ahsoka remarked.

"C'mon you know me, I've always had my hair like this" Fawn replied.

"Then I guess nothing else has changed."

Fawn smiled at her friend then turned back to the others.

"Ahsoka and I haven't seen each other in a while, it is okay if we...?"

"Of course, you two have a lot to catch up on" Hera replied.

"Thanks."

Fawn glanced at Hurricane.

"Buddy, could you give us a moment?"

"Sure."

The dragon back flipped off his rider's shoulder and grew to his full size when he landed on the floor.

"Huh. You're bigger then the last time we met" Ahsoka said.

"I grew old, had to happen some time Ahsoka" Hurricane told her.

The Togruta nodded and walked from the command center with Fawn beside her.

"I thought you were killed in order sixty six" Ahsoka said.

"You know the dragon sanctuary I created? I stayed there when the attack happened. What about you? How'd you survive?"

The two friends disappeared through the doors, leaving the command deck quiet.

"I never knew Fawn was friends with Ahsoka" Whiplash said.

"I don't think anyone did apart from Hurricane" Kyber said, coming through the door.

"Hey dad, what cha doing here?" Hurricane asked, shrinking and landing on Sabine's shoulder.

"Came to see how Ezra's dragon finding went" Kyber replied. 

"Went great dad" Whiplash grinned showing Kyber his mark.

Kyber's jaw dropped and his eyelid twitched.

"You're joking" he said after a while.

"Nope, Whiplash is officially my dragon" Ezra grinned.

Kyber's face broke into a smile and he flew on to Ezra's shoulder too.

"Great work buddy" he praised, nuzzling Whiplash's forehead.

The dragon chuckled and moved his head away from his father.

"Thanks dad" he smiled.

Later that night, Ezra lay on his bunk with a dragon book open on his lap. He'd been doing a bit of reading before bed. Zeb was already snoring from his bed underneath Ezra, mouth open as he slept. Ezra looked over when he heard the door open. Whiplash was standing in the entrance, bleary eyed.

"Hey buddy, what you doing here?" Ezra asked.

"Couldn't sleep. It's really cramped in Fawn's room" the dragon replied.

"You wanna stay here for the night?" Ezra inquired.

"Really?"

Ezra nodded and Whiplash immediately flew onto Ezra's bunk.

"Thanks Ez" he smiled lying down beside the boy.

"I should probably get to bed" Ezra yawned putting book aside and using the Force to turn out the light.

Ezra lay on his back, listening to Zeb's snores. After a minute or two, Ezra felt pressure on his chest. He knew it was Whiplash and was about to tell him to get off, but there was something comforting about the dragon's weight. Smiling a little, Ezra put an arm under his head and closed his eyes. Whiplash, who had night vision, opened an eye and looked at his friend. He couldn't believe his dream had come true. Ezra was actually his rider. It felt good. He felt like he had a purpose.
After a while, Whiplash felt Ezra shivering a little. Feeling concerned for the boy, Whiplash concentrated on his electricity and he began to glow.

"How are you doing that?" Ezra's voice came through the darkness.

"It's the Force and my lightning working as one. I'm creating a heat source" Whiplash mumbled sleepily.

"Even when I do fall asleep, I'll still be able to do this. It's like an ability that I can do while I'm awake and asleep."

"Can Hurricane do it?"

"Most dragons can" Whiplash yawned.

"But not all of them." 

Ezra draped an arm over Whiplash's back, warmth flooding him from the dragon. Whiplash was full of surprises Ezra didn't know about.

Maybe there were even some no one knew about.

The bond between Ezra and Whiplash is growing!
Suggestions are welcome.

Star-Wars-Dragons out 🐲