Chapter 61

Hera flew the Ghost past the moons, the wreckage of the spheres more prominent up close. Fawn was clutching the back of Hera's chair with one hand as she stood at the front of the ship. She wasn't crying, but you could tell seeing her home like this was affecting her. Hurricane seemed paralyzed with shock and disbelief. Whiplash was frozen in Ezra's arms as his eyes looked at his home. Through their bond, Ezra feel the dragon's emotions. They were mixed but devastation was the strongest. Hera was forced to turn on the Ghost's head lights to see through the thick air of Kabera as they entered the planet's surface. When they broke through the black altostratus, a heart stopping sight met their gaze. Kabera's once green fields were burned to ash while the trees littered the ground. Almost every one chopped down. The stables were in smoke and huge black marks covered the land. Dragons were everywhere except they were lying still as stones. Not moving at all. Then they saw the hall. It looked like a bomb had been set off in there. The walls were broken in places and chunks of the building was missing.

"My home" Fawn whispered.

"It's...gone."

Ezra looked up at his sister. The Gray Jedi's lips were partly open and her eyes held remorse. She didn't look like herself. Ezra was used to the headstrong, rebellious, fun, and reckless side of Fawn. Seeing her broken and devastated like this wasn't right. Hera landed the ship near the hall and stopped the engines. No one said a word as they stood and left the cockpit. The ramp opened and the group walked out. It was difficult not to choke. The air was thick and smokey. Difficult to breathe in. Ezra stared around at Kabera, not wanting to accept what the beautiful dragon sanctuary had turned into; a land of ash and memories. Fawn was running to the dragons lying around, checking them but always shook her head.

"How could the Empire do this?" Ezra whispered.

It was barely audible but the others heard it. Hera put a hand on the boy's shoulder as Fawn approached them.

"They're all dead" Fawn told them, fists clenched.

Ezra didn't know if it was because of anger or if Fawn was trying to stop herself from crying.

"Let's look at the hall. There might be some survivors" Hurricane suggested although it looked like he didn't want to go.

"Yeah" Fawn agreed sadly.

Hurricane grew to his full size and allowed Fawn to lay a hand on his back as they approached the hall. Ezra felt sick. Dead bodies of dragons, Twe'liks, and Togrutas alike lay among the rubble. Some dressed in armour while others weren't. Fawn looked like she was going to faint. A hand was over her mouth in shock.

"No..this can't be happening" she whispered.

"Fawn" a weak and trembling voice said.

The girl swung round to see a female Togruta lying close by. A hand was outstretched to her and was shaking. 

"Tiambay" Fawn whispered before rushing to her friend's side.

Dropping to her knees, Fawn clutched the Togruta's hand in her own.

"Tiambay, what happened here?" She asked.

"The Empire, they attacked. Their Star Destroyers were more reinforced. We weren't ready for it. The laser power," Tiambay coughed before continuing.

"They were more deadly. They severely hurt the dragons...I think they were charged with kyber crystal energy."

"But that's impossible. There's no way that's possible. They'd need a massive kyber crystal for that" Fawn said.

Tiambay nodded then gasped and lay a hand over a wound on her side. Fawn inhaled sharply and clutched Tiambay's hand more tightly.

"You need medical attention right now" she said.