EMMA ✔️

"Emma, get out of the bathroom!" My mother yells. "Why do you keep doing this? I'm tired of it!"

The fact that my mother is yelling freaks me out a little. My family has never yelled at me, at all. Well, except for Ellett, who is a brother. He's meant to yell. "Mom, wait a sec!" I yell from the other side of the door. I look around the bathroom for some sort of towel, but with a family of four living in a small hotel for three weeks, towels go quick.

"No! This getting out of hand! What are you even doing in there anyways?"

If only you knew. I shake my head, thinking of what she'd do if she figured out that I was a fish. Of course, they wouldn't put me in a tank for the world to see, but they will act different to me and that's not what I want. I want to be treated like a normal girl, although I'm the exact opposite.

"Emma, answer me!" She bangs on the door. She's never acted this way before, which makes me even more frightened.

I think for a moment. "Um, I'm using the bathroom. My stomach hurt super bad... I though I was going to puke." I spit out the lie, closing my eyes. I can't even count the times I've lied to my family in the past two years.

"I don't know if I can believe you anymore, Emma." I hear her say. This breaks my heart and crushes my soul. "I feel like you've been lying to me for such a long time. Why can't you just tell me what is going on? Are you upset about us having to go on this trip?" Her voice cracks. She's crying.

"No! I'm fine ... it's just-" I start, but can't finish. My mind is spinning. I can't think. My tail is silver. My mom is questioning me. There isn't any towels in here. What's going on right now?!