EMMA ✔️

My heart skips a beat.

Or ten.

Everything happens in slow motion: he grabs me, cradling me like a baby. It doesn't even take him much effort. For most, picking me up with my extra twenty pounds of tail is super hard. He then closes his eyes, snaps his fingers, and suddenly the scenery changes. I'm not in a dirty restaurant bathroom. I'm at the beach, secluded from the far away voices of beach-goers.

I immediately scream.

"Quiet!" Luke says, covering my mouth. "Do you want them to hear you?"

That shuts me up, but I begin loading him with millions of questions. "What, how-"

Instead of letting me finish, he begins talking. "I, just like you, have a secret. Although, I'm better at hiding it than you are. You know, you probably failed the test, didn't you?" He says, raising an eyebrow at me. "Breaking the law, huh? That's your game?"

"What test? What are you talking about? Put me down!" I say, flipping my tail fin in order to slap him in the face with it.

"Your a mermaid. Your on land. You had to take the test." He states, dropping me on the ground just before my fin reaches his face.

My body comes crashing to the ground. "Oof!" I mumble, glad that my tail was there to cushion my fall. "I don't know what your talking about. Let me go." I fire at him, my heart beating at a very dangerous rate.

"You didn't take the test." He says the question like a statement.

"No! Let me go!"

"You didn't take the test," he states again under his breath, "you're not a full mermaid. The moon . . . chose you."