EMMA ✔️

"It's time," Rikki says, checking her watch. "The moon will be out in an hour and we need to go and get ready."

We've all moved to Will's pier, where we all sit anxiously and talk of what needs to be done in order to get this right.

If we don't do this right, we'll be mermaids forever.

The thought makes my stomach churn with uneasiness.

Luke touches my shoulder, "You okay, Em?" He says, swirling his fingers in my hair. It makes my neck tingle. "It'll be okay. You don't have to worry.' He gives me a small genuine smile.

I can't help but notice Rikki raise her eyebrows at the gesture. Cleo smiles and quickly looks down. I look into Luke's blue-green eyes and give him the same smile he gave me, "I know. Thanks for helping."

"But you know . . . I am going to miss your silver tail. That orange one can be quite dull." He laughs and I laugh along with him, just slightly more nervous.

"I'll be missing it, too." I say, thinking back to my orange tail. I have to admit, this one is much prettier. Plus, it has more personality.

Cleo stops us mid conversation, "Sooo, are we leaving now?"

I nod, quickly standing up. "Yes,"

Bella and Will are the first to jump into the water, Will wearing his scuba gear. Cleo and Rikki had told him that he could drive his boat to Mako, none of us would think anything of it, but he insisted that he was fine swimming. I think that he felt a little wronged by what Luke had said to him. Maybe he wanted to show that he was just like us—just without the bulky tail?

Bella's tail is a vivid dark green. If she had the red hair that I'd tried to pull off unsuccessfully a long, long time ago she'd look exactly like a real life Ariel.

When Cleo jumps into the water I'm surprised to see a light blue tail replacing her old orange. "Wow, it's beautiful!" I tell her as it shines and sparkles in the fading sunlight.

"Thank you," She says shyly. "If only the tail would be permanent . . . "  She giggles, "Now your turn! I want to see yours."

I jump in and she tells me how beautiful my tail is. "It fits you perfectly!"

"Blah, blah, blah . . . " Rikki mimics. "I'd like to get to Mako so we can fix this. Please." She says, slapping her fluke against the water as she submerges under the waves.

The 5 of us swim in the tropical waters, sometimes slowing so that Will can catch up. Bella always stays behind with him, though. I smile as the water trickles by us.

I've missed this. I've missed my friends. I've missed having people to share my secret with—someone that understands.

And now that I have it back, I'm never going to let it go.

***

Hello! Just a little side note that I've published a new story called Bloodlust. I'd love for all fo you to check it out. It's a crossover of Teen Wolf and The Vampire Diaries. I hope you read it!
-Caroline Grace