EMMA ✔️

"Okay, are we close enough to do your snapping thing-y. I'm getting hungry and I'm not in the mood for raw fish today." Jess says, eyeing Luke.

He rolls his eyes at her, "Can you shut up for like 2 seconds? We'll be close enough in about 10 minutes." He then turns to me, "You okay, Em? You know you can talk, right? I'd rather hear your voice instead of hers."

I laugh in response, bubbles trickling out my nose.

"Very funny. Your not obviously flirting or anything," Jess smiles slyly as Luke's cheeks blush.

"Shut up, Jess. Is that possible?"

"Actually it's not, but I'll give you credit for trying."

"Whatever." He says, putting his hands out for us to grab. "We're close enough. Hurry up, we don't want to miss our chance."

I quickly oblige, taking his left hand and Jess taking his right. In one quick motion he snaps and once again we're transported somewhere new.

But I recognize this new place.

This is home.

"Is this familiar, Emma?" Luke says as we began swimming through the coral reefs of home.

I nod, "Yes," I point in front of us, "the shore is that way."

As we begin swimming closer and closer, my heart starts racing harder and harder. I'm going home. I'm going to see my friends. Will they be different? What will they think of me—my new fashion sense? My hair? Will they still want to be my friend?

My heart and mind race so much, I almost don't  notice the flash of red in the corner of my eye. I turn to see what it is, seeing a large fish tail, but I know it's not just a fish tail.

It's a mermaids tail.

I slow my pace and head over to the hidden spot of coral, "Hello?" I say, watching the tail fin flicker back and forth.

The mermaid turns in surprise and I'm met with a familiar face.

"Oh my God, Rikki?" I say, engulfing her in a hug.

"Emma . . . ?" She trails off, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. As her eyes widen, her voice fills with more certainty. "Emma. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're here. Come on, we have to show the others." She behind pulling me along, but I stop her.

"Wait a sec," I tell her. "Luke, Jess! Come here! I found one of my old friends!" I call out.

"Whose Luke? Whose Jess?" Rikki says as they round the corner. Once they come into view her eyes widen and she whispers into my ear, "Luke's hot."

I laugh.

Same old Rikki.