EMMA ✔️

"You okay? You seem really tense." Luke says. I look away from the pool and at his face, expecting to see a worried expression, but instead seeing a large smile spreading across his cheeks. "We could go back inside if you want to."

I nod, thinking that is definitely the safest place to be right now. "Yeah, that seems like a really good idea." I'm already getting up, ready to get to the safety of the indoors.

"Welp, okay then," He shrugs getting up. "You have a problem with water?" He ask.

I quickly answer. "Yeah, I'm a hydrophobic." That's been my answer to that question ever since I've been a mermaid. My parents don't understand how me—their little fish who had been on the swim team ever since forever—had become such a water-phobic, but everyone else didn't seem to give the statement a second thought.

Except for Luke. His green eyes pop up in surprise. "Really? I thought you told me you were just swimming this morning," He says, walking to the gate.

"No, way! I hate swimming," I wince. Lying isn't one of my talents.

Once we are on the other side of the gate, I relax. I made it. Luke clears his throat, "Well, since water is out of the question, you want to go somewhere else? There's this diner down the street with some really good burgers."

"Actually-" I begin to protest, but am interrupted.

"Oh, come on. It'll be fun!" He smiles a toothy smile. It makes my stomach flutter a little bit.

I sigh, "Okay," I pull out my phone, dialing my mum's number. "Let me tell my mum I'm going out."

"Emma?" Mum answers, worried. I remember our little misunderstanding from before. She's gotten over her anger by now, I know that. Now she's just worried. "Where are you?"

"Hey, mum. I'm okay. I'm going out with a friend." I say, rushing to get off the phone.

She gasp in a quiet whisper, but I still hear it. "Your going out? With a friend?" Surprise fills her voice. For the last few moves I decided to stay to myself, knowing that making new friends would just crush me. I guess she thought I was depressed. This was a step up for me, at least in her mind.

"Yeah, am I allowed to do that?" I question.

"Yeah, uh, of course. Be back by ten, though. We're going down to the beach to go crab hunting with Elliott." She states, "You could bring your friend if you want. I'd like to meet them,"

I cringe. That's definitely not a good idea. "Maybe," I mumble back. "See you then. Love you, mum."

"Love you, too," She says before hanging up.

And then I begin following after Luke as he strides down the boardwalk, short conversations passing between us as we walk, the sun setting above us.