BELLA ✔️

"It's been a long time . . . do you think we should go check on her?" Cleo says anxiously.

"She's fine." I retort, still slightly mad about Rikki's outburst. "She'll be back when she feels like it."

Right on cue, Rikki walks through the back door. "Guys," she says.

"Oh, you're back!" Cleo smiles, her shoulders slumping with relief.

"I've brought someone . . ." She says, turning her head to the person standing behind her. She gets out the way, revealing a slender, pretty short haired girl.

Cleo immediately jumps out of her seat on the couch, her face going a pale white. "Emma! Ohmygod!"

She immediately rushes to the young girl, pulling her into one of the tightest hugs I've ever seen. "I can't believe it's really you! Ohmygod it's you!" She continues smiling and screeching happily.

"Cleo! It's been so long. I can't believe . . ." The girl screeches back, but is interrupted by two others walking in behind her. A boy—maybe a year or two older than us—walks in. His green eyes scan the room and his blonde curls blow in the slight breeze from outside. A girl looking almost identical to him, just more feminine, stands behind him.

"Are all these people . . . like you?" The boy says, scanning the room. Cleo and the girl hug, Rikki stands beside them happily, and Will and I sit on the couch confused.

The girls eyes lift from Cleo, looking at both me and Will. "I don't know." She says in reply.

Cleo turns and looks at us, "Oh! Bella, Will, come over here. This is Emma. The girl we were talking about."

"Oh!" I say in realization, studying the girl in front of me. She looks nothing as I expected. She seems older than I pictured; more sophisticated. Her hair is in a bouncy bob, slightly frizzy at the top. "Hello," I say to her, smiling, "I've heard a lot about you."

"You have?" She says in confusion. A trace of fear is in her voice.

The girl in the back speaks up, her voice tired and unenthusiastic. "Are all of you mermaids?" She gets straight to the point.

I look at her, "Uh . . ."

Emma looks at Cleo, "Don't worry they're friends. They're here to help."

Cleo then nods. "Yes,"

The boy turns to Emma, "All of this was not in the job description, Em."

"I'm afraid there never was one . . ." She trails off.

He then turns to Will, "Ugh! And don't tell me your a half merman?!"

Will's eyes widen with surprise. "Uh, no. I'm a deep sea scuba diver."

The boy frowns and huffs once more. "Even worse,"