CLEO ✔️

Emma's return sends my heart racing, and fills me with hope. I can't believe that it's her. She looks slightly different—more grown than the rest of us—but it is her, there's no denying.

I've pinched myself at least ten times, and I still haven't woken up.

"Luke, why did you drag me into this? I want coffee." The girl behind Emma huffs. I hadn't noticed her before now. Or the boy standing beside her. I guess I'd been too busy greeting Emma to notice them.

"Don't you always?" He says to her, then turns to me and Rikki. "You're the girls Emma was talking about, right? The mermaids that changed with her?"

The use of the word "mermaids" in his mouth makes my heart skip a few beats. "Who even are you?" I say, growing protective of our secret.

Rikki grabs my shoulder, trying to relax me. "It's okay. They're like us. They just want to help."

The boy answer my question, not cared by my attitude. "I'm Luke. This is my sister, Jess."

The girl—Jess—rolls her eyes. "Enough with the introductions. Aren't you guys due to be fish in like . . . 12 hours? Isn't that the more important matter right now?"

I look at the clock hanging on the wall. She's right. We only have 12 hours to figure out this mess or we'll be toast—or tuna, really.

"She's right. Let's just get this over with, okay? And then catch up after." Bella says, finally standing up. "We go to Mako, right? And then what? Does any one know?"

Luke nods, his blonde curls bouncing. "Go to Mako and then wait for the moon to get at its peak. Then, use all your combined powers to stop the change."

Bella shrugs, "Nothing we haven't done already," she says, looking at me and Rikki.

Rikki nods, "The water tentacle."

"You guys fought the freakin water tentacle? That  was you guys?" Jess says, nudging her brother. "Okay, they're a little bit cooler than I thought."

Emma stands in confusion, but doesn't ask questions. She looks at the lot of us, nodding. "We're strong. We've been through worse—well, not really, but whatever. Let's just do this, guys."