RIKKI ✔️

Pow! Pow! Pow!

"We're missing the fireworks." I say, peaking through the hotel room's small window to see the burst of color.

"Oh, it's fine. We're missing out on a make out session, too. I'm okay with missing out on a few boring, colorful bombs." Jess remarks.

I laugh at her comments, watching as she puts a bag of popcorn in the microwave.

Pop, pop, pop.

"So . . ." Jess says, leaning against the counter. "How are you liking it here in Florida?"

"Um, it's nice."

"Yeah, there's nothing special about this place. No moon pools, no magic, no mermaid fun." She laughs. The microwave beeps and Jess opens the door, the aroma of buttery popcorn filling the small space.

She sits down on the bed beside me. "I think we should leave them to it. I'm really not in the mood to see all that romance. Are you?"

"No. Not at all." I dig my hands into the bottom of the bag, coming up with a handful of popcorn and shoving them all in my mouth. "What about you?" I say once I've swallowed my snack. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

She shakes her head. "No. Boys are . . . much too annoying. I'd rather not be in a relationship with one, I barely want to be in the presence of one." Her shoulders tense at her last words.

"I agree. I've had a boy treat me the wrong way more than once. I'm really not in the mood to be in any relationships at this point." I begin thinking about Zane and all the things that happened between us. I'm truly done with his bullshit this time. I'm not going back.

She smiles, "Maybe you should try the opposing side."

"That's a thought," I laugh. She chuckles, grabbing my shoulder as she stands. It causes a shock of tingles to go throughout my body. I'd never thought about it, but maybe she's right. Maybe I should leave boys in the dust all together.

"You think we should go enjoy the fireworks now?"  She says, putting her hand out for me to take, the other holding the popcorn.

"Definitely," I say as I take her hand. The tingling sensation doesn't subside, but I don't mind it.

She stops just as we reach the sandy beach, gazing up at the sky and the fireworks that frame it. "It's beautiful."

"It really is," I say back, still holding her hand.

She then looks at me, her brown eyes sparkling. "You know what would make this even better?" She pauses, and my heart skips a beat as she leans in closer to me, her dirty blonde curls rubbing against my face. "This." And then she kisses me.

And I don't hesitate when I kiss her back.

***

And that's the end!!! I hope you guys enjoyed reading A Change in the Tides. I'll be posting a authors note chapter shortly. Keep posted!