EMMA ✔️

The diner was tiny and cramped. There were only a few booths lining the perimeter and one worker. That left a lot of time to talk.

"So, tell me more about Australia." Luke smiled.

I gulped. A story? Ugh. "Oh, well. I lived there all my life. I was on the swim team," I start.

His eyebrows furrowed. "Swim team? I thought you said you were scared of water." He questions, putting me on the spot. Had I said I'd been on the swim team? Crap.

"Yeah, well, that was before." I answered.

"Before what?"

Oops. "Before I was scared of water. It came on later."

"Why?"

Why was he putting me on the spot? Couldn't he get over it. I gulp, "I don't want to talk about it."

Finally, he excepts that I'm not going to tell him my story and moves on. "Did you have any friends there?" He ask.

Friends.

The thought of Cleo and Rikki brings tears to my eyes. "Yes. Cleo and Rikki. I really miss them," I say, trying not to choke on the oncoming tears.

He notices my sorrow. "Wow, you must have been really good friends,"

I nod, and then quickly change the subject in order to stop crying. "Yeah, we were. How about you?"

He laughs, "Friends?"

"Yeah, you have any friends?"

"Um, does my sister count?" He jokes.

I raise an eyebrow playfully, "So, a guy like you: a loner? I never would have guessed."

He bust into laughter, "What does that mean: a guy like you. Do I look . . . cool?"

I shake my head, cursing myself for letting those words come out of my mouth. "No, you just seem like the type of guy that would have friends."

"Hmm, interesting."

At that moment, the waitress stops at our table, two glasses of water in her hands. Seconds later, she's split it all over my cloths.

"Oops!!" She says, "I'm so sorry. Let me-"

I don't listen to the rest, I get up and rush towards the bathroom.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...

I finally make it to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. There's only one stall and I fall into the dirty, grimy floor. "Ugh," I say, knowing that my bum will be bruised when I get back to normal.

"You okay in there?"

Luke.

Crap.

"Emma?"

I can't answer. My mouth won't corporate.

"I'm coming in,"

And then the door handle twist. I quickly curse myself for not locking the door. His foot comes into view. His head. His eyes take in my body— my tail.

And then he smiles. "I knew it."