BELLA ✔️

I watch as Rikki and Cleo frantically tell Darla about their old friend, Emma, and how they all changed in the Mako moon pool together.

Darla just huffs in response. "Where is she?"

"Traveling the world," Cleo replies, "I think she's in America right now, right Rikki? Florida?" Cleo turn to Rikki, awaiting an answer.

Rikki shrugs, "I'm pretty sure. We don't really talk anymore..."

I look at the both of them as the talk. I've never seen nor had a conversation with this Emma girl in my life. Sure, I've heard plenty of stories about her. One of them really stuck with me: one time she'd turned into a gilled, scaly, silver tail mermaid because of a scratch from a magical piece of coral.

Would that happen to her again? Would that happen to all of us?

I don't want to wait to figure out.

***

The three of us swim back to land after staying underwater with Darla and Shelby for another hour. I can't wait to tell Will of all that we've discovered. Actual real life mermaids.Hundreds of them. A underwater barrier concealing their hiding place. A moody sea witch. I'm pretty sure all of that will be a surprise for him. We might be stuck mermaids forever—real ones—if we don't hurry up. Maybe that will be the biggest surprise of all.

It is for me.