Chapter 15.

I'm a heaving, gasping, retching mess as Jace drags me outside. I'm half carried, and half dragged out the door, probably attracting attention at this point, but I don't care anymore.

I thought I could do it. I thought I could, but I can't. Seeing him, here, with those girls hands on him, so close to him, it's killing me. It keeps flashing in my head like a freaking slide show.

Over and over again.

As soon as the movement of us stops, I drop to my knees and cough hysterically as if I'll throw up. Jace grabs my perfectly done hair, and holds the bundle away from my face as I cry and threaten to regurgitate anything in my stomach.

It feels like I'm dying, and in a way I am. Half of me is. I always thought that Eric and I were two halves of a whole. We completed each other, at least I thought. I trusted him, I put my faith in him, I've known him for over a decade and this is what happens. This is what I get for giving away my heart.

All of the fluids in my body go towards my tears. They won't stop, and I'm hiccuping to the point I can barely breathe.

"H-h-how could h-he?" I struggle, sobs wracking my body.

"I don't know, baby, I don't know." And he lets me cry. He lets me grieve. He lets me experience pain and I can't even be mad at him for it. Maybe in some sick way, it's the universe telling me that in some way it's my fault. It's my fault for putting so much of myself into someone that I couldn't have been certain about. True love doesn't exist, every novel, every movie, every pessimistic person out there has always said it. And I was stupid to not believe it.

What seems like hours later, I've finished with the tears. They've dried up on my face from the cold, and now I'm left staring into the winter night.

"Is there somewhere I can take you?" Jace asks, reminding me that he's still here.

"My house," I mumble, barely coherent. "My parents will be asleep."

He nods and helps me stand up, though, I'm sure it's not easy with the way I can barely hold my own weight.

Jace helps me into his truck, buckling me up himself and closing the door. He gets in the drivers seat moments later, but before starting the ignition, he looks over at me. I don't return the gesture. I'm sure if I wanted to even, I wouldn't be able to.

He lets out a sigh and we begin our journey to my house. Once again my thoughts drift back to Eric and his betrayal, so I clench my eyes shut and bring my knees to my chest.

The car ride goes quicker this way, and before I know it, we're stopping outside of my house. The lights are all off beside the porch lanterns, indicating my parents have gone to bed. Why wouldn't they, it's nearly one in the morning.

"Do you have a key?" I nod and grab my key out of my pocket. He takes the piece of metal, hesitating on getting out of the car. I follow after him, surprising us both I'm sure.

The house is completely dark on the inside, so dark we can barely see where we're going, but I manage to lead us both up to my room. And not once do I question why Jace is still with me.

"I'm just going to go change," I tell him with no emotion. "You don't have to stay. I think I'm okay now."

He stuffs his hands in his jean pockets and stares at me, trying to decipher whether I am what I say. I'm not okay, obviously, but him staying doesn't seem right. Doesn't seem ethical.

"You're sure?" He asks and I nod, looking down at the clothes in my hands; cotton shorts, large t-shirt. His converse clad feet enter my vision and I feel his fingers underneath my chin. He lifts my head to get me to look at him and I do, feigning being okay. "You don't have to lie to me-"