Chapter 17.

I laid in my bed for the rest of Saturday night. I didn't eat, I wasn't even hungry, I didn't talk to my parents or say good night to them, I just laid in my bed and did nothing. There were moments while I've been sitting here where I thought I was overreacting, but how can one justify what's overreacting or not? How do most people react after finding out they've been cheated on?

Let me rephrase that, how does one act after finding out their boyfriend of over ten or so years has been cheating on them? That's the real question, because the other one is kind of vague. My situation doesn't seem like most other people's.

I'm trying to calm myself down enough to feel placid when I go to church tomorrow. I've been trying to think of a way to get out of it, which actually wouldn't be too hard, but then I'd feel guilty for lying and then bailing on god. So that plans a bust.

I have no one on my side at the moment, mostly because I haven't told anyone about what I saw last night, but the one person who does know sort of hates my guts at this time. If I want to keep my secret I have to find a way to desensitize myself from the reality of being close to my boyfriend.

Telling Eric what I saw doesn't seem like an option right now because I'm guilty of making out with his best friend just this morning. I blame that on my crazy mood swings after the initial incident on Friday.

Staring at my ceiling in the dark night, I tell myself that it'll be fine. That this is my childhood best friend, Eric Beets, I know him. Seeing him Friday won't change the fact that I still am comfortable around him, right? And that's all I need tomorrow, just tomorrow and then I'll think of something else.

With that reassurance, I close my eyes and try to find some peace enough to sleep this night away.

•••

The morning doesn't feel any different. I still feel exhausted, I still feel disrespected and betrayed, and I still feel guilty. Going to church is going to be a pure disaster.

I run my hand over the top of my head to lessen the frizziness as I look at myself in the mirror. Just like yesterday, I practice my smile and it looks somewhat normal. The way I'm dressed should help too, a red dress with cardigan and brown leather boots and tall socks. Though everything looks normal, I'm far from it.

I eat breakfast with my family, barely talking, but trying to throw in a snide comment towards my brother every now and then for good measure. I then help my mom with the dishes and next we're all piling in the car.

I keep my eyes trained out the window as the bickering between my dad and brother goes on. I try to calm down my nerves that have popped up tremendously since breakfast.

My leg bounces due to that fact, and I feel like I may throw up the meal I've just eaten. It doesn't help that Eric and his family is already here when we arrive. Jace right there standing with them. He see me first, eyeing my movements when I get out of the car.

I feel hot from his gaze for a few seconds that it lasts, but when Eric's joins in, I feel cold again. I swallow the bile threatening to make an appearance, sickness overtaking me at his smile.

His smile.

"Nina?" I snap my head over to my left to where my brother looks down at me confused.

"What?" I breathe, clearing my throat at how weird it may seem.

"Why are you just standing there?" He asks, and I realize how long I've been just standing here. I shake myself out of my thoughts.