Chapter 31.

I walk into school with a smile on my face. It's the first time in forever - it feels like - that I've actually felt somewhat happy. I give credit to Jace. The only thing that really makes my mood dissipate is the looming talk that I will be having with Eric today. School maybe isn't the best place, but it's where I'll feel most confident.

"Hey, girl," Bray greets me by my locker. Giving me a weird look after fully taking in my appearance. "What's with the smile?"

I roll my eyes and open the metal door to fish out my book for first hour. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Actually, Yes I would," she agrees and we start walking. "Eric isn't with you so it's not because of him, but lately you've been really down. What's changed?"

I haven't decided whether or not I'll ever tell Braylee or Candice what Jace and I have done. I feel bad that they do not know, but I also want to protect what we have done in private. Hence the word "private". They are my best friends, though, and I get a strange sense of guilt whenever I think about the secret that I've been hiding. Especially the one about Eric. Soon enough they'll know about that one.

"I don't know," I shrug and stare at the door to my first class. "But I like it."

I leave Braylee in the hallway and walk into my classroom, finding my seat. I look at the empty space next to me and have to bite my lip to keep my smile from getting any bigger. I'm slightly nervous to see the man, but happy all in the same.

I never thought I would say that Jace West makes me happy, but I also never thought I'd do half the things I've done in the past few weeks.

The first bell rings and Jace has yet to walk in. It's hard for me to concentrate on the lesson when all I can think about is where he could be. Then five minutes left of class I finally accept the fact that he isn't coming and the smile disappears off my face.

Maybe he's avoiding me. He did leave my house before I even woke up. But why would he have to do that? I didn't do anything, I don't think.

The rest of the day goes by in a blur, and not once do I see Jace or Eric for that matter. When I'm walking out to my car at the end of the day, I'm about to get in when a hand stops me. Hopeful, I turn around only to realize it's Eric.

"Hey, hon," he kisses my cheek. "I haven't seen you all day. Are you okay?"

When I look at his face, I no longer see the man I once loved. For a while I thought I could, I felt deep down somewhere He was still the same guy. How can that be true when he's done the worst thing possible to me? I feel like an idiot for hiding this for so long. It shouldn't have taken Jace giving me an ultimatum to conjure this thought process up.

I really am naive and I didn't realize what an awful thing that is until now. You're blinded when you're naive, you're stuck in a universe that doesn't exist. I'm glad I finally came to my senses and the feeling of neglect and misery can now be washed down the drain.

"Actually, Eric," I let out a breath, my hands becoming clammy. "I have to talk to you about something."

His face immediately transforms into that of worry and concern. I swallow the nerves that have built up in my throat. "What's wrong? Are you alright? Did something happen?"

In a glimpse I see the old Eric, but in hindsight he's gone. And there's no bringing back the way we once were.

"Something did happen," I nod, shakily. "And it happened a while ago, and I've taken until now to bring it up because I've been so scared to."

He listens, completely confused on where I'm going with this and to be quite honest, so am I. I'm rambling because I'm scared for the truth to come out. I'm scared to hear the answers to the questions I've asked myself a million times.