Chapter 47.

I can't seem to help my mouth falling open in astonishment at the sight before me

I can't seem to help my mouth falling open in astonishment at the sight before me. Jace looks like he's in the same boat, but it disappears as quickly as it comes when it turns to rage. His footsteps towards his vehicle falter and my heart pounds against my rib cage.

He looks as if he wants to forget all about the race and stomp over here just to drag me away. In all honesty, I feel he actually would if it weren't for some guy patting him on the shoulder. I notice the clench of his jaw from where I stand - feet away - but he resumes towards his car.

It's not fun anymore.

"Oh shit," Braylee finally breaks the silence that has settled amongst our group. "Did not expect that."

"What the hell just happened?" Breeana asks and I swallow, my eyes solely on Jace's car. My excitement for the sport has taken a turn straight to concern and I want to leave. He's putting himself in danger.

"This isn't good," Candice mumbles and I mentally agree. I become worried for the safety of this boy that I have tons of feelings for. He's involved in illegal street racing with hardly any rules at all and that alone has me shaking and debating running down there to stop him.

I don't, though, because the countdown begins and the screams become too loud. Candice grabs on to my arm as I stay silent, but make sure my eyes never leave the vehicle that holds my - whatever he is.

The horn blares, though I hardly hear it because my ears are so clogged. All I can see is him speeding away, neck and neck with the other contestant. When he's out of sight, I really start to panic. I have no clue what is going to happen while they're no longer visible for us, and that's scary.

"Are you okay?" Braylee asks. "I had no clue he was even going to be here-"

"I'm fine," I say, too focused on what could be happening right now. Is he okay? Is he winning?

She stares at me for a little while longer until she realizes I won't say anything else.

It feels like a lifetime waiting for him to appear again, anxiety has successfully taken over for why on earth he's taking so long. Almost positive my bottom lip is non-existent from biting at it so often.

A breath of utter relief falls from my lips when his car appears, alone. He crosses the finish line as the winner and the other racer pulls up a few moments later. His car looks slightly busted up which makes my breath catch in my throat.

Jace looks like a freaking god when he steps out of his car and begins walking over to us. The announcer is vaguely heard in my muddled brain informing us that the race is over and to be careful on the way home.

Our eye connection is electrifying, it sends heat throughout my entire body and nearly has me melting. He's angry - beyond - and as pissed I am at him as well, I'm more relieved that he's okay. This answers the question as to where he's been running off too lately.