Chapter 26.

Today's the first day back to school in two weeks. Our vacation is over and the art of learning is back to torture us all.

Usually, times like this don't bother me, and it's not because of the piles of homework I'll be getting that make it different. It's Jace. It's Eric. It's Braylee and Candice. I'll be seeing them everyday once again, and I can't lie and say that being away from them was horrible.

I'm trying to figure out if my two best friends have been deceiving me, knowing about Eric's affairs and not telling me. Indecisiveness has left me wondering where Eric and I stand, even though the rightful reason is buried deep within my heart. And then there's Jace, I have no words about him.

Our moments together on New Years eve have been forever sketched into my head and aren't planning to leave any time soon. It was great, what we did, but once again he had to ruin it. Or maybe I did, I don't know. It doesn't really matter, not after he kissed another girl right in front of me right after it.

He's shown me his true colors, ones that I've surprised from my mind. It was stupid to keep down, Eric's told me many times how he is, and somehow they were all lost somewhere inside of my brain.

He made me feel a way no one has ever made me, not even Eric, and I use that as an excuse as to why I forgot about his true personality. Moments of weakness.

Today could be a normal Monday morning had Eric not done what he's done. It haunts me most nights, but surprisingly, Jace and I's issues have been more consistent.

I'm driving myself and Caleb to school today. It's the first time in a while I'll be doing so, and though it feels slightly weird, it also feels - refreshing? I don't know why that is.

"Tell me what he did," Caleb demands as soon as we're in the safety of my car. I remember his words from long ago and the fear spikes inside of me. He can't know. Not yet. I still need to figure out how I'll tell everybody, I will, but I don't know how.

"Who?" I play dumb, I must.

"Eric," he growls, I distract myself with driving for a little while, and this makes Caleb all the more angry. "Nina?"

"He did nothing," I answer politely. I hope he can't detect the disgust in my words. He did everything. He ruined everything. "I promise."

"I don't believe you," he repeats words that I've heard before. "Should I ask him myself?"

"No!" I shout quickly, the car jolting a little bit. "Don't. Caleb, I promise that I'll tell you, but on my own time. Don't talk to him. Please."

I look at him from the corner of my eye and he's clenching his jaw, his eyes burning. He looks like my father in this state, the similarity uncanny.

"Fine," He gruffly gives in. "I swear to go, though, Nina you're going to tell me. Or I'll make him."

I nod, thankful that he won't be taking action at the moment, but also anxious because I know I won't be getting out of this one. I'll eventually have to tell him something, and when that time comes I'll have to have decided.

Caleb is out of the car as soon as we pull into a parking spot, his eyes giving me one last warning of the conversation we just had. I let out a deep breath, leaning my head against the seat and shutting my eyes.

How my life has turned into a low rated soap opera stuns me. I never thought in my lifetime any of this would be happening to me, but the last month or so has definitely tested me.

I have a few texts from Eric and Braylee asking where I am. I ignore them both because I'm going to stay in my car until the warning bell rings. I can't face them right now, not after having this conversation with my brother.