Chapter 34.

Jace's POV.

"Go!" She yells and I finally see the true extent of what's happened to her. Puffy eyes, black rings underneath them, red blotched cheeks and vacant iris's. I see a shell of the woman she once was and know I can no longer blame if all on Eric. It's partly because of me too.

So, I do as she asks and go back out the window into the snow. I stumble slightly, feeling a wave of emotions hit me all at once. I wince. I ruined her. Or at least had a part in it and I don't have the energy to do something about it.

She wants nothing to do with me now, and I don't blame her. I fucked up. When I first met her, all I could think about was the pain I'd put Eric through if he found out his sweet, religious girlfriend was messing around with someone else. I had no clue he was already doing her dirty. From the outside he looked to really have loved her - maybe still does - but not enough to completely change his player ways.

Even then, I took it as an even better opportunity when she found him and used the chance to my advantage. I kissed her, twice and only after the second time did I realize it was something more. I got mad that she still hadn't told him what she knew, and that she was still so in love with him. Can you believe that? I kicked her out that day because I knew she was still in love with him.

It had been a while since I felt that kind of rage. After Janine - like before - I went back to doing one night stands and only fucking. But Nina - fuck it. It doesn't matter anymore, we're done and it's probably better that way. I'd only drag her down. She'll find a guy just like her and marry him and so on and so forth.

I'd be stupid to think that I'd actually be enough for her.

Driving home on my bike seems like a reality check even more, added to when I pull up to Eric's house. My parents have yet to finish things over in Illinois and aren't here yet, so I'm forced to stay at the Beet's still.

Still dazed, I walk into the warm house that is not my own and immediately notice Eric sitting on the stair steps. I close my eyes and let out a breath, knowing what's coming.

"Where were you?" He asks, voice deeper and harder these past few days. He seems to be taking this a lot harder than I originally thought. I don't like it one bit.

I give him a glare and walk away towards the kitchen. I need to eat away my sorrows. Usually it'd be drinking, but there's not an ounce of liquor in this house. Fucking protistans.

"Now you don't want to talk," He taunts. "Interesting."

"Just leave me the fuck alone, Beets," I demand, my voice holding authority. This kid is really starting to get on my last fucking move. If it weren't for the mere knowledge that his parents are upstairs sleeping, I'd have punched his teeth down his goddamn throat.

"Did she tell you to fuck off?" He asks, crossing his arms and leaning his left shoulder against the wall. He looks smug, but I try to ignore it. "Tell you that you're a no good liar who should rot in hell? I'm guessing she knows that you played her, right?"

I grind my teeth together, and turn to him. If he doesn't shut his mouth in three seconds...

"Of course she does," he tsks. "My Nina knows her priorities and you are not one of them."

"First of all," I ground out. "She's not your Nina. Second, you'll be surprised to know that's not what happened."

He raises his eyebrows, not believing me for one second. "I don't know if you knew this, Jace, but I know Nina like the back of my hand. After finding out about your original intentions, she dropped you like a sack of potatoes. She realized who you were and decided that she was so wrong for doing what she did. Chances are she'll be running back to me before you can say "wow"."